True meaning of "up for grabs"

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
To any would-be marketplace posters:

In my time, where i come from, "up for grabs" means "free", "complimentary", or "0". It does NOT mean $10, not $50, certainly not $200. This shouldn't bother me so much but it really frustrates my inner scavenger when i keep encountering these nonsensical bait-and-switches.

On top of everything else going on, I dont know why you humans insist on bewildering me with misconstrued idioms. Get your act together MFKers 😁

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Thank the lord!
It’s not just me!

we have a number of “re-homing” sites here in the uk for fish that have outgrown, outlived or simply become boring! And time after time these fish go from not worth the owners time and effort to “aye aye someone’s interested, maybe I can make some money!”

TBH it’s eBay killing my soul currently when I think I have a good price with their specific description of exactly what your gonna get and the price has the smallest of “from” in front of it.
You cannot describe to me exactly what I am gonna receive and then tell me the price of something completely different!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Honestly, an item that is truly being offered for FREE is, IMHO, a bit of a concern when it involves a living critter. I have, on local forums devoted to other hobbies, often offered perfectly serviceable items of hardware for free, but I try to ensure that they go to people who really will use them and who will actually benefit from a freebie. I offered up a pair of binoculars for free recently; they were functionally perfect, but the rubber armouring had been affected by bug repellent containing DEET, so they had a couple of big ugly fingermarks on the exterior. I had responses from jerks who I personally know, and who are not hurting for money; they just see FREE and their eyes glaze over. I also had a couple of responses from guys who offered to take them for free if I also paid for shipping myself! They eventually went to a young lady, a budding birdwatcher, who was ecstatic to have them and likely would not have any other way to get anything comparable.

But live fish? I dunno; I would prefer to see a fair price asked, as I think that this would help weed out the wrong kind of adopter. You know the type...take a free Oscar for their 10-gallon community tank because, hey...it's free...

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
To any would-be marketplace posters:

In my time, where i come from, "up for grabs" means "free", "complimentary", or "0". It does NOT mean $10, not $50, certainly not $200. This shouldn't bother me so much but it really frustrates my inner scavenger when i keep encountering these nonsensical bait-and-switches.

On top of everything else going on, I dont know why you humans insist on bewildering me with misconstrued idioms. Get your act together MFKers 😁
nothings worse then someone trying to get more then a fish can be imported for. i had someone local to me offer up for rehoming. a jack dempsey and 2 red devils. i was like yea ill take them. is there a rehoming fee? hes like $200. i just said, you obviously dont want them rehomed that bad lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store