True parrot in a 125?

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
I've got a 125 gallon with a pair of Aequidens diadema, juvie mesoheros gephyrus, caquetaia spectabilis, and some juvie plecos and hoplo cats. Tank looks fairly empty. I was considering a true parrot cichlid but i have a feeling it would wreak havoc on my stock. Anybody have any input? And if this wouldnt work, what are some other bigger south american species that I could add?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I wouldn’t keep one in a tank that size with those other species. They’re all large-growing and boisterous. Parrots grow fast — mine went from .5” to 8” in about a year and by two years he was 13”.

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
I wouldn’t keep one in a tank that size with those other species. They’re all large-growing and boisterous. Parrots grow fast — mine went from .5” to 8” in about a year and by two years he was 13”.
Wow, definitely underestimated these fish. Thanks for the input.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I think a 125 would be an OK home for a hoplarchus, but I agree putting one with smaller/slower growing cichlids may not be the best move. Soud like you have a lot going on in the tank already, though they are small and it looks empty, you probably only want to put very gentle larger fish to keep it safe for your smaller fish. Gephyrum from my understanding grow very slowly, some plecos as well. Most Geophagus would be showy fish with small chance of harming your juvies.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
To be honest it's a classic scenario, having a number of juveniles that will overstock a tank once they near adult size, but wanting to "fill up" the tank in the meantime. I won't say it's a mistake, necessarily, because another scenario is you know what you have, the 125 is just your grow out tank, and some fish will be moved to other tanks, traded later on, etc.

Everything's a matter of scale and what I often do when I have small juveniles in a tank I plan to keep them in long term is enjoy the phase where that scale is something a bit closer to nature vs. simply being an adequate tank. If you see the tank that way there's not necessarily a need to add fish, if that makes sense, though, again, if you choose to have more juveniles than what adults the tank will eventually hold, realize it's a temporary option.

Reactions: jjohnwm

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
...Just to add, the other thing to enjoy with smaller fish in a bigger tank is the less tank/filter maintenance while they're small. :)

Reactions: jjohnwm

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with this.
A 125 might be large enough for only a copasetic pair of Hoplarchas, but with no other cichlids.
Your tank is already fully stocked as is, it may seem empty now if they are not adults, but won't appear that way for long.

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
You all do have a point. I'd rather not do any kind of temporary stocking and definitely dont want one fish to snap and damage my others. They all get along pretty well as is. The growout waiting game isnt that fun but its better in the long run for sure.

Reactions: neutrino
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store