Trying My Hand At A Single Species Breeding Tank

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
That puts me at one peacock Cichlid in the whole tank haha that's very conservative. I don't disagree though in terms of recreating a realistic territory. It stands in incredible contrast to the 15+ peacock suggestions though.

This is why I never got into Africans before. It seems like it's pure luck when it comes to success based in the incredibly contradictory theories of what works.

I'm almost tempted to go back to my familiar oddballs and just do a single fish tank haha. I will keep mulling it over and keep you guys updated. Any suggestions are still very welcome.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
So I know this would now be in the wrong forum but what about Apistogramma Cacatuoides? Could be a cool breeding project!

Reactions: the animal guy

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I do not go by tank size per number of fish, just a max body size per number of gals.
I might put 5 or so 5" cichlids in a 50 gal, or 50 x 1" fry, or 1 x a 5" Central American loner type.
There are too many variables that go into how many.
Filtration, number and volume of water changes, aggression type whether shoaling or normal or not, other typical behaviors, even whether the volume of the sump helps in controlling water quality.
Since I normally do a 30% water change every other day, I sometimes push the envelope,
just not with size per gallonage.
I had 15 Astatheros (Cribroheros) rostrum of about 5", in a 75 gal, which although pushed the envelope helped hold aggression down (as it does with many rift lake species), but the sump was an almost full 75 gal tank with fractionation to hold nitrates between 2 and 5 ppm.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I ended up finding what I think was a great deal on some Dragons Blood Peacocks. I picked up 9 (3 males) for just over $6 each at about 2-2.5"

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
Last edited:

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I know they are hybrids but I found them locally and the price was right. I also love how the females arnt bland at all

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I got about 30 new fry last week. Hybrids. Acei cross with dragons blood. 100 percent pink. I have 2 adult females, dragons blood with good dispositions. To hobby breed.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Thought I'd post a photo update

Thanks all

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store