Trying to breed Red Tiger Severums

the_watcher

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2011
New York
Hi my name is Frank ,

If anyone would be so kind as to take a few minutes to enlighten me on a possible breeding strategy for my newly acquired Red Tiger Severums.

I recently purchase a group of seven wild Red Tiger. They range from 5.5 to 7 inches.

They are housed in a 125 (6 footer).
I also have another 4 RTS in another 125. Two 7.5 ones and two 4.5 one. Also in this tank is two 4.5 inch Liberifer and five geophagus Sveni. (4-5 inches).
Can you give me any recommendations on breeding the RT Severums.
PH is 7.2 and the temperature is kept at 81 degrees. I feed frozen a shrimp and salmon , spirulina, vitamin home made paste food.

I also feed bug bite pellets and flakes. I also feed Hikari (Excel pellets,
Vibra bites, Sinking Carnivore Pellets)
I plan on feeding frozen krill.

In any case thanks in advance

LiquidUtopia

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2023
Honestly for me when it comes to getting them to breed I always think it best to try and recreate their normal habitat as best you can. Then its just cross your fingers. Its not always going to happen unfortunately.

Reactions: the_watcher

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi my name is Frank ,

If anyone would be so kind as to take a few minutes to enlighten me on a possible breeding strategy for my newly acquired Red Tiger Severums.

I recently purchase a group of seven wild Red Tiger. They range from 5.5 to 7 inches.

They are housed in a 125 (6 footer).
I also have another 4 RTS in another 125. Two 7.5 ones and two 4.5 one. Also in this tank is two 4.5 inch Liberifer and five geophagus Sveni. (4-5 inches).
Can you give me any recommendations on breeding the RT Severums.
PH is 7.2 and the temperature is kept at 81 degrees. I feed frozen a shrimp and salmon , spirulina, vitamin home made paste food.

I also feed bug bite pellets and flakes. I also feed Hikari (Excel pellets,
Vibra bites, Sinking Carnivore Pellets)
I plan on feeding frozen krill.

In any case thanks in advance
ryansmith83 ryansmith83

the_watcher

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2011
New York
ryansmith83 ryansmith83
Hi Ryan
Can you give me a few pointers on breeding the Red Tiger Severums.
1: Environmental pointers (water, temp, tank size)
2: feeding (foods, times per day)
3: did your pair start off as juveniles then paired up ? Or did they pair up from a larger size.
Thanks for your time.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
When you see a pair forming, I'd keep them in the 125g and remove all but 1 other fish. I sometimes keep the other fish behind a divider so it doesn't get beat up and can't bother the pair.

I'd add live worms (I culture red wigglers) to the diet. Feed heavily in the run up to a big water change - like a 90% one. That's often a key trigger and a way that I've bred several "severums" in the past.

the_watcher

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2011
New York
When you see a pair forming, I'd keep them in the 125g and remove all but 1 other fish. I sometimes keep the other fish behind a divider so it doesn't get beat up and can't bother the pair.

I'd add live worms (I culture red wigglers) to the diet. Feed heavily in the run up to a big water change - like a 90% one. That's often a key trigger and a way that I've bred several "severums" in the past.
Thanks
Basically that is what I do. Feed earth worms or black worms for a week along with the regular foods. Then after a week a I do a big water change(water 1 or 2 degrees warmer than tank water). Then if I see breeding activity a take a partition and separate the other fish from the pair.
once again thanks for your input.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store