Trying to breed some Red texas

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Hello, I recently decided I was gonna try and breed some red Texas , I’ve had a large male red Texas in a 120 this past year he’s about 9 inches and pretty feisty, I had been given a female blood parrot who lays eggs regularly from a friend last week and I’m attempting to pair them up , I set up a divider in the 120 with a large flowerpot on her side and this morning I noticed and large pit and that she had layed eggs on the flowerpot , they haven’t made contact yet without the divider so the eggs will eventually rot , but when she lays next time I was considering attempting to let him fertilize them and then reseperate the 2 , does this seem like a good plan?

IMG_2001.jpeg

IMG_1813.jpeg

IMG_2016.jpeg

LiquidUtopia

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2023
I would say you need to just put them together. They will either pair up or they won't. If she is laying eggs go for it. My NBA lay eggs once a month like clockwork so you will be waiting that long anyways after this batch. Wait for eggs to disappear first as this could cause a battle. Then pair em up. Worth a try anyways.

Reactions: anzo1993

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Yeah I think im gonna add some hiding spots and then take out the divider and see what happens with some supervision, they seem to be dying to meet eachother he wanted to get to the eggs so bad but now they’ve already turned almost all white, I’m gonna remove the flowerpot and coena it off maybe and then put them together

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Cut a little hole in the egg crate where only she fits so she can escape if things get nasty. Also lift the divider just enough to fit a plate underneath sharing half on his side and half on her side. That will help

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Cut a little hole in the egg crate where only she fits so she can escape if things get nasty. Also lift the divider just enough to fit a plate underneath sharing half on his side and half on her side. That will help
That’s what I would do too. Works great so you won’t have to keep replacing females

LiquidUtopia

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2023
If possible if like Alex said....they are that diff in size....id try to make a hole as he said previous but try to maybe fashion and short cut tube to put into egg crate. That stuff can be sharp and if one takes a bolt and hits it, it will shred them to bits.
Honestly though if they aren't going to get along its going to happen almost immediately. I'd do it on a day your around. Just be rdy with a net. Im sure as soo as hands are put in tank they will stop though.
More then likely the fact they are different breeds that they aren't going to hook up but probably get along fine.

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
So far so good it’s been about 24 hours and she’s adapting, I cut out a hole in the egg crate and also put many ceramic tubes and decorations that she can fit into and he can’t , he seems to wanna get to her but doesn’t seem like he wants to kill her so let’s hope this continues

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Just an update, there getting along great swimming together and eating at the top together, she’s not hiding and they seem to be best of friends for now lol he seems to have stopped chasing her also , no torn fins or anything even close , hopefully babies in the near future 🤞🏻

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Another update, they attempted to breed but no babies, I noticed there color got real intense and the male and female starting digging a pit around a flowerpot , the male got hyper aggressive and starting thrashing the tank anytime I got near but I noticed the eggs in the flowerpot a couple days later turned white , do you think they’ll have more luck in there future attempts?

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Just an update after about 5 attempts to breed with the female laying eggs and the male trying to fertilize them no fry, also in a turn of events I had to take off the female one morning I found her badly beaten and I had to remove her.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store