TSN interest need some advice

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Hi, I will have a 400g built soon and have allllllways loved TSN cats and was running by the possibility to keep one :)

There seems to be many variants of them, can any one recommend one that I could get away with keeping one in a 6'x4.5' foot print tank? I was thinking Fasciatum?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I am with Wednesday aka Mr. TSN. A 3' TSN can be kept alive in a 6'x4.5' but it'd be miserable. They are not a non-stop swimming fish but they do swim a lot and need to swim ... yet in that tank it won't be able to.

Imagine, if you will - one tiny tail flap along the tank's length, a 4-point turn around (they are poorly flexible), one tiny tail flip in the other direction, a 4 point turn around, and so on.

Not to mention they'd need (IMHO) at least 4.5' of depth.

The good news, it will take time to get to 2.5'-3' (in your case I don't see a difference between 2.5' and 3'; IMHO this tank would be too small even for a 2' TSN... nevertheless, as Wed puts it "one's got to start somewhere but have a back up plan if they can't upgrade in time).

IME, we appear to get runts, poor quality TSNs in the trade. With a runt, you will get more time on your hands. My two most recent TSNs that I raised from 3" grew to 18"-22" in 2 years, instead of 1 year. They are runts TSN, Cigar and cigaretten 1.JPG TSN, Cigar and cigaretten 2.JPG TSN, Cigaretten Feb 2015.JPG

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
How about for life? Don't Fasciatum max out at 3 ft?
sadly not for life... when u see a 24-30" fish in that size tank in person...ull realise its not politacally correct lol... but ive seen worse. As TbTb stated, p. fasci in the pet trade are usually "runts" because they come from farms producing them for human consumption but 30" is a good sized/strong cat that can do some damage to the tank itself when confined. A "for life" specimen i can recommend you would be a tig or jurnese...reported to reach 30" but not nearly as big as a tsn and slower growing.

Reactions: CANAMONSTER

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
just get a lima shovelnose, much prettier imo anyway and the biggest only get 2ft.

Reactions: CANAMONSTER

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Thanks guys for that horrible Advise lol joking. I agree with you guys completely! I thought that maybe that size dosnt happen very often in Captivitie. Thanks for the heads up

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks guys for that horrible Advise lol joking. I agree with you guys completely! I thought that maybe that size dosnt happen very often in Captivitie. Thanks for the heads up
You are likely correct. I don't recall seeing a 3' fasciatum raised in captivity. I think Wednesday's ~3' reticulatum and tigrinum (?) are the only 3' TSNs off the top of my head that I can recall. In part, that's why I stated that to me 2.5' or 3' is immaterial in a 6'x4.5'x2'. I'd not keep a 2' fish in there either, unless it is an almost non-swimming Cephalosilurus or a pacman, chaca, etc.

But these are just our thoughts. You do what you think is right for you, needless to say.

Lima? They grow that big? I do like tigs
My current belief is that for one Sorubim lima (max 2') we in North America get 100,000 Sorubim elongatus (max 1'), which are very, very hard to distinguish for an average hobbyist. In Europe, there appears to be ~10x more of the genuine lima.

I know only one thread here on MFK where a 1.5'-2' lima is shown (see the link below). That's it.

****************************************************************************************

Lima maxes out at 2', elongatus at 1'.

Check out this thread which includes a relevant piece from the genus revision: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...elongatus-ID-thread&highlight=trigonocephalus

Here is a small write-up I made on lima/elongatus.

These are ambush predators that stay/float vertically, head down among vegetation pretending to be a twig or a plant and wait for a suitable prey to come by too close.

Young Sorubim species like the company of each other; adults don't care.

IME and IMO, the vast majority of people thinking they are buying a Sorubim lima are actually buying a Sorubim elongatus in the US, so chances are great that yours is S. elongatus, which tops out at 1', not 2' as S. lima does.

They are quite hard to tell apart from the exterior features for laymen like us: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30938&hilit=+elongatus (that's one of mine I was trying hard to ID). As you could see, our colleague Back (high level hobbyist) from Finland thinks the position of the mandibular barbels with respect to the gular and other skull features may be telling. I do not remember this approach having been validated by a known respected ichthyologist but I think the latest genus revision justifies this ID approach.

I've never seen a 2' one in person, not even one longer than 11"-12" TL, while I have owned and seen scores of them. Mine never grew beyond ~11", which makes me assume they were all elongatus but I have not had them long enough to be dead sure. For now, this leads me to believe that most/almost all we have in the US are elongatus. I have seen only 1 or 2 approximately two-footers on the photos originating from the USA here on MFK (here are some pics of an almost fully grown lima: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...e-lima-shovelnose-catfish&highlight=elongatus ) and a few in between 1' and 2'. Our colleagues in Europe say they see 2'-ers sometimes, not that rarely.

The Cat-eLog entry for elongatus http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=697offers kind of soft ID: "...Very generally, Sorubim with spots are usually S. elongatus. (TBTB edit: as opposed to the other 4 species in this genus; this appears mostly true IME with ~20 of these fish.) They are more of a black water species and, as with most such species, tend towards more variable, spotted patterning."

They need not live feedings, unless we are talking earth worms or ghost shrimp, lizards, land frogs, etc. They are small predators that snatch small fish (anything that can fit in their mouth which is relatively and surprisingly big for their slender body structure but not that big compared to other medium and large Pimelodidae catfish), crustaceans, insects in the wild. I always feed mine frozen/thawed foods - small whole fishes, fish pieces, shrimp/prawn/etc. or their pieces if too large (do not peel; raw is better than cooked), and sea foods.

They can be trained to take pellets but the cases where they thrive on pellets are very few it appears to me, even on Hikari Massivore pellets. I have never seen them fat and happy on pellets, rather always thin and slow-growing. Anyone, correct me, please, if your experience differs.

When small, mine like freeze-dried and fresh bloodworms, plankton (mini-shrimp-like creatures), etc.

The growth on elongatus is not fast, perhaps 6"-7" in one year starting from ~3". As you see my experience with lima is most likely zero, so IDK how fast they grow. The fact that they reach 2x larger adult size may or may not matter.

Check this excellent link: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/sorubim-lima/ - the info is well written and arranged. In the notes it says: " (TBTB: S. lima is) Distinguished from S. elongatus by having modally 9 pectoral rays; 21 anal-fin rays; 16 gill rakers..." The page does not state the counts for elongatus anywhere. Neither have I found a species page for S. elongatus. Unless I am missing something, I find this odd and not as helpful as it could have been otherwise. All other pointers refer to things that are subjective. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading the page and learned a lot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store