TSN?

jjollie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
usa
how long would a TSN live in a 90"l x 28"w x 30"h tank with a silver arowana and a clown knife ?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
rule of thumb for me is... i keep cats in their tanks until their reaching close to hitting nose to tail on the front/back glass. With proper filtration/auto drip u could have ur 3 fish in there tank bustin no prob. ull b ok until around 18-20" imo... is it a great tank for them...no... but u gotta start somewhere. i say go for it.

jjollie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
usa
thanks for the comments it's always nice to get other peoples thoughts

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I must note there is no big disagreement between Wednesday's thoughts and mine.

The long and narrow tanks are not catfish friendly or, maybe, not very friendly to any (most) fish unless they truly don't swim much, like Cephalosilurus spp for instance.

A better tank for a fish, not viewer, would have its length be 2x the width... but the long and skinny tanks make fish sit and move preferentially sidewise to the viewer, thus, maximizing the best viewing angle of the animal.

I imagine an ideal tank shape (again, mostly for the fish, not the viewer) would have a circular footprint:
-- no corners to hit for a fish,
-- no need to turn around every 2-4 tail flaps,
-- minimization of bruised snouts,
-- long-barbelled Pims would not always be able to touch front and back glass simultaneously and hence feel trapped = stressed,
-- smooth current, no dead spots, better aeration, less detritus accumulation, etc.

But curvature distorts the view and can be unpleasant to look at, even cause an eye strain, headache. The greater the curvature, the stronger the effect.

A cynic would say it's another one of those "wonderful" damned if you do, damned if you don't occasions :) but understanding these things and monkeying with them makes our hobby edifying and interesting, IMHO.

jjollie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
usa
well I am not getting a TSN but I have to have the tank 28" so it will fit through the door

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
well I am not getting a TSN but I have to have the tank 28" so it will fit through the door
tanks turn sideways 2 fit through doors no prob... make ur height 28" and push the width to 3'-4' lol...

Reactions: jjollie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store