3 Apollo shark
2 rainbow shark
1 albino senegal
1 senegal
1 leopard bush fish
1 syndontis
1 tire track eel
3 congo tetra

I wanna add one last fish into the community tank and Im thinking a west african cichlid, either kribensis or turkana. some sites say turkanas can be kept in community and some dont. What if I keep only one so to prevent aggressive breeding behavior. Would the fish still be aggressive or should I stick with a Kribensis?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To me the deciding factor would be the type tap water you have.
Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher) are soft water, low pH species (7 and below), so if that's the water you have, it's a good choice.
Lake Turkana is totally different, Rubricatochromis exul prefers hard , high pH water (pH 8 and above , up to the 9s), that has seasonal periods of intense salinity. water.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Aquarium:
2x3x2 feet
90 gallon
Fish:
3 Apollo shark
2 rainbow shark
1 albino senegal
1 senegal
1 leopard bush fish
1 syndontis
1 tire track eel
3 congo tetra

I wanna add one last fish into the community tank and Im thinking a west african cichlid, either kribensis or turkana. some sites say turkanas can be kept in community and some dont. What if I keep only one so to prevent aggressive breeding behavior. Would the fish still be aggressive or should I stick with a Kribensis?
I would personally go for the Krib, but unfortunately, there is the possibility it could be eaten by the Senegal or another fish since they are smaller fish. Maybe you could consider some other options? Another catfish maybe? Or maybe another rainbow shark?

Reactions: FrancisFloe

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The size of that tank alone may promote aggression between feisty fish.

Is that tank some kind of a grow out tank/temporary setting for those fish? You have quite a mix there!

I looked into Apollo sharks some time ago, and their max size (9-10") and sometimes skittish nature meant they needed quite a lengthy tank (6').

And the tire track eel doesn't belong long term in a tank that size.

FrancisFloe

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
To me the deciding factor would be the type tap water you have.
Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher) are soft water, low pH species (7 and below), so if that's the water you have, it's a good choice.
Lake Turkana is totally different, Rubricatochromis exul prefers hard , high pH water (pH 8 and above , up to the 9s), that has seasonal periods of intense salinity. water.
I have hard water

FrancisFloe

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
The size of that tank alone may promote aggression between feisty fish.

Is that tank some kind of a grow out tank/temporary setting for those fish? You have quite a mix there!

I looked into Apollo sharks some time ago, and their max size (9-10") and sometimes skittish nature meant they needed quite a lengthy tank (6').

And the tire track eel doesn't belong long term in a tank that size.
It's originally an african tank but I decided to mix the rest of my Southeast asian fish. I'll later move them out to make the tank fully African. Right now Apollo shark are at 5" and tyre track eel 6".

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I must say, I'm partial to the Turkana Exsuls, and since you have hard water, they would fit in nicely.
Polypterids are also part of the diversity of Turkana.
Although I must also agree with Esoxlucius, that is quite a tiny tank for all those fish, and before I'd add anything else, I lose some of what doesn't coincide as part of a hard water Turkana biotope. When first read your post, I totally missed tank size.
Lake TurkanaWikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Lake_Turkana

FrancisFloe

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
I must say, I'm partial to the Turkana Exsuls, and since you have hard water, they would fit in nicely.
Polypterids are also part of the diversity of Turkana.
Although I must also agree with Esoxlucius, that is quite a tiny tank for all those fish, and before I'd add anything else, I lose some of what doesn't coincide as part of a hard water Turkana biotope. When first read your post, I totally missed tank size.
Lake TurkanaWikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Lake_Turkana
Thanks for the suggestion! I think with the current aquarium stocking right now maybe it will be aggressive with the amount of fish, I will consider it as a future resident when I move out some of the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store