turtle in a native tank expierence?

Fishbert

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2011
New York
hello all, I have a 150 gallon tank that's almost empty, 4x2 footprint. I love to fish, have a couple private ponds by my house chock full of small fish, or will be, come 'real' springtime. anyway, I can and have caught small bass and very small sunfish but I want to ad an alligator snapping turtle. not necessarily native, but close. I do realize they get huge and eat a ton buy theyre fully aquatic and I have the housing. I will be receiving a hatchling and if in case one day I don't have the room the vendor I have found to get it from offers a buy back program where a small hatchling is then returned for the big guy. win-win.

I was just wondering if anyone has done anythig like this. stock-wise I was leaning towards the alligator snapping turtle, loads of small sunfish, small bass if I could manage to catch one, two tops, some marbled crayfish; again, not really native.. but crayfish are and itll provide seeming unlimited snackage for the turtle. ill provide pics of my catches from last year to put a picture in your head.

right now the tank holds one 6 in. red belly piranha, a female convict cichlid, a baby(to small to sex) convict cichlid, one Chinese alge eater and one common pleco. not too spectacular of a stocklist but I wont be adding anything else until the current fish move on

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I'm not even going to comment. You clearly don't know how to keep fish appropriately, much less a turtle. Did you even know that these turtles eat fish ?

Fishbert

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2011
New York
uhh yes, which is why there will be a lot, supplemented with crayfish and other things, in a small size, that ill be getting for free. thanks for the comment though

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
You have a piranha in there and you want to add a snapping turtle? Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishbert

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2011
New York
PLEASE READ IF YOU INTEND TO COMMENT
hello all, I have a 150 gallon tank that's almost empty, 4x2 footprint. I love to fish, have a couple private ponds by my house chock full of small fish, or will be, come 'real' springtime. anyway, I can and have caught small bass and very small sunfish but I want to ad an alligator snapping turtle. not necessarily native, but close. I do realize they get huge and eat a ton buy theyre fully aquatic and I have the housing. I will be receiving a hatchling and if in case one day I don't have the room the vendor I have found to get it from offers a buy back program where a small hatchling is then returned for the big guy. win-win.
I was just wondering if anyone has done anythig like this. stock-wise I was leaning towards the alligator snapping turtle, loads of small sunfish, small bass if I could manage to catch one, two tops, some marbled crayfish; again, not really native.. but crayfish are and itll provide seeming unlimited snackage for the turtle. ill provide pics of my catches from last year to put a picture in your head.

right now the tank holds one 6 in. red belly piranha, a female convict cichlid, a baby(to small to sex) convict cichlid, one Chinese alge eater and one common pleco. not too spectacular of a stocklist but I wont be adding anything else until the current fish move on

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Actually I have watched crayfish kill baby snappers. Tough turtle or not, babies can be fragile in a tough world of predators

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I hate "buy back" programs. They just make people feel ok about being irresponsible. There are thousands of people that have a 2" to 1' snapper and can house them, but there are only a handful of zoos that can handle a 3 foot monster, none of which are interested in more. I don't know what game your guy is playing with the buy back, but I'm guessing he is either illegally releasing the turtle or (hopefully) making it into soup.

Obviously also snappers are not compatible with anything. You can try to keep it well fed and maybe it'll be lazy, but it's only matter of time before your fish are food.

Also wtf is up with a single piranha in a "community" tank????

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store