Turtle "mating dance"

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Been noticing this in one of my turtle tanks a lot lately. It's 40 gallon with three small turtles in it; a southern painted, a Mississippi map, and a red-eared slider. The map and red ear are around the same size (one and a half inches), the map being a tad bigger, and the painted is around 2.5 inches. Originally, I thought the painted was a female, based on how short its claws were. But since I added the map and red-ear, it's been doing that weird mating dance, where it brushes its claws on the other turtles' faces. It also seems to be trying to mount the other turtles occasionally. In the past few months the painted's claws have gotten a bit longer, but still not long enough to be sure it's a male. And I struggle with trying to sex them by looking at the base of their tail. Yet the map turtle, being only an inch and a half, is already growing insanely long claws. I can't tell at all with the red-ear.
So basically my question is, what exactly does the mating dance mean? Like, do females do it too? Or can it just be a dominance thing, and it doesn't have anything to do with mating at all? What's strange to me is that none of these turtles seem mature enough to mate yet.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I had turtles do the same thing and even at 6-10" they didn't mate. Yours are way too young.......likely too young to be sexually mature, and definitely too young to be healthy breeding size.

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
So since the painted is doing it, does that mean it's a male, or do females do it as well? Also... I'm almost positive the map is a male, and the painted seems to do it to him the most... If it's male-on-male is this a way of showing dominance or something, or is it the same as a male dog unknowingly humping another male dog?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
So since the painted is doing it, does that mean it's a male, or do females do it as well? Also... I'm almost positive the map is a male, and the painted seems to do it to him the most... If it's male-on-male is this a way of showing dominance or something, or is it the same as a male dog unknowingly humping another male dog?
I don't think it's either, tbh. I think it's just some random behavior humans interpret to mean something when it's just how they normally act in a tank or enclosure

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
I don't think it's either, tbh. I think it's just some random behavior humans interpret to mean something when it's just how they normally act in a tank or enclosure
Hmm ok. That's actually good to hear, the last thing I need is an unplanned hybridization between two turtles who are way too young to be breeding XD

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store