Turtles...

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
I found the biggest promblem was water quality. I kept a soft shell with a bunch of silver dollars without issue except for water quality due to the turtle.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
Jamo3030;4704627; said:
Has anyone mixed turtles with fish? Several turtle keepers have suggested it with cichlids and other large aggressives. I am trying it with my small turtle and a couple of large Dempseys. It's been working well for a good while. Water quality is the hardest thing to keep up with. They all eat the same food even.

My uncle kept a MATA-MATA with a black Arowana in a 125g for almost two years......Hw also had a Soft shell turtle in a 300g with a bunch of South American fish for almost 3 years........I was told turtles do have a high ammonia outake, they "squirt" a lot...........So having a strong filtration system is a must...........

Reptilesfishbirdsmammals

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Arizona
i as well would say keep semi aggressive to aggressive fish with a turtle also cichlids are perfect

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
I keep a mata mata with some fish. There is a sticky on this subject too, you should see if that answers your questions.

Jamo3030

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2010
Mid Atlantic
Thanks guys, it seems to be working well and now I'm less concerned. He did spend most of his life with a couple of giant feeders and a pleco.

cyberhog05

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2009
Western Montucky
I keep one of my breeding pair of angels with my Stinkpot and Mississippi Maps. The turtles dont dare get close to them. They have been together since the turts were the size of a 50 cent piece. Now the Maps are about 4.5" in diameter. They have been in a 55gal but will be getting either my 180gal or a 120gal I have. I have a monster tank up my sleeve in my new fish room in my new house. Im building so I get full rein!

MyFishEatYourFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
monsterville
generally not reccomended with RES. mine were fine for months then, snapped. tried it twice. i've heard that a single RES is less likely to attack.
try at your own risk!!!

y2shanon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2009
california
I keep turtles with my fish... no problems. + another to the water quality maitnenance though... need strong filtration.

Triathlete

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2016
1. Turtles are super dirty. 1 of your challenges is your water quality upkeep. If you stay on top of weekly 20% water changes that's a good start.
2. You gotta allow for plenty of room for the fish to swim away from the turtles in case they're being chased and harassed by the turtles. Whatever tank you have, keep the livestock to much less than you would with a fish only tank.
3. Allow of hiding areas that the fish would fit through, but not the turtles. I have used pvc pipes in the past. They're great and cheap.
4. As a bunch of people mentioned, turtles are a hit and miss. Some are a total pest, and some are really mellow.
5. I've had cichlids with good luck with my turtles, just make sure they're at least twice as big as the size of their mouth. In general, I recommend getting fish that are able to move in an explosive way.
6. Use a reactor and stay up with carbon replacements. Their poop tends to wanna make water murky, and carbon helps to get rid of that.
7. Create a bunch of water current in the tank. Turtle poop is dense and just drops to the bottom of the tank.
8. Make sure to siphon the gravel during water changes.

Hope all this helps.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
1. Turtles are super dirty. 1 of your challenges is your water quality upkeep. If you stay on top of weekly 20% water changes that's a good start.
2. You gotta allow for plenty of room for the fish to swim away from the turtles in case they're being chased and harassed by the turtles. Whatever tank you have, keep the livestock to much less than you would with a fish only tank.
3. Allow of hiding areas that the fish would fit through, but not the turtles. I have used pvc pipes in the past. They're great and cheap.
4. As a bunch of people mentioned, turtles are a hit and miss. Some are a total pest, and some are really mellow.
5. I've had cichlids with good luck with my turtles, just make sure they're at least twice as big as the size of their mouth. In general, I recommend getting fish that are able to move in an explosive way.
6. Use a reactor and stay up with carbon replacements. Their poop tends to wanna make water murky, and carbon helps to get rid of that.
7. Create a bunch of water current in the tank. Turtle poop is dense and just drops to the bottom of the tank.
8. Make sure to siphon the gravel during water changes.

Hope all this helps.
Op hasn't been around since December. Don't think replying to a 5 year old post will help that much....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store