Two databases: longest f/w fish rating + f/w fish by continent and family

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Dear colleagues,

I thought I’d share a database I had put together for my personal and professional needs a while ago. I hope it’d be useful to many. It’s kind of a “cheat sheet”, a quick lookup reference, which I use to answer customer questions on the fly, lecturing, networking, etc.

It also presents a nice bird's-eye view of the subject matter we are all passionate about.

I’ll present two versions of the database.

The first smaller version is a rating listing fish that exceed ~120 cm (~4’) in the decreasing order of max known body length. The first yellow section lists fish, which exceed 200 cm (~6’8”). Sturgeons comprise a large portion of the yellow section and their rows are colored a bit duller to quickly differentiate from the rest. This is because some consider sturgeons not strictly freshwater fish, albeit many of them spend most of their life in freshwater (or are forced to spend it entirely in landlocked lakes).

The second green section lists fish with a max length of 150-200 cm (5'-6'8"). The third white section contains fish with a max length of 120-150 cm (4’-5’) as well as some fish, about which there is some disagreement on max length between the two primary sources I’ve used, namely Fishbase and Fishing World Records. These guys deserve all the credit!!! At the end of the white section, I’ve listed and rated eels, separate from the overall rating.

The second, full version of the database lists fish grouped by Continent and Family.

The Fishbase size data are given first (if there is a second smaller #, it refers to common size).
Second, the Fishing World Records numbers are cited, indicated by “FWR”.
Letter m, u, or f stands for male, unknown / unsexed, or female
y is year
see b. means see the comment field, Biology section
? means questionable data
- or _ are same, mean hyphen
The comments are often heavily shortened. Look up the species on Fishbase if hard to decipher.
Some terms are given at the end of the full database version.

Enjoy!

Best wishes to all.

Viktor

First database. The RATING.

Biggest fish 1 yellow.JPG Biggest fish 2 yellow green.JPG Biggest fish 3 green.JPG Biggest fish 4 green.JPG Biggest fish 5 green white.JPG Biggest fish 6 white.JPG Biggest fish 7 white.JPG Biggest fish 8 eels.JPG

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
This is good stuff, man! only things that got annoying is dividing all the max. sizes by 30 to get the actual measurements in Feet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store