Two Sleeper Gobies in one tank?

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
I started a native tank recently and am currently growing out 5 MO Longear Sunfish and two Sleeper Gobies. I plan on only keeping a single MO Longear and adding other species of sunfish (undecided as of now) but was wondering if I could keep both Sleeper Gobies together or if I have to keep only one per tank. They are all about 1.5 to 2 inches now in a 55 gallon, but will be moved to a 120 gallon when they get bigger.

Thanks!

farawayinn

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2008
cedar key, fl
www.farawayinn.com
Newt,
I have some limited experience with sleeper gobies. Currently there are 4 in a 3ft by 2ft heavily planted section of a 700 gal system. They were about 2" at purchase and are now 5 to 6 inch. No aggression other than posturing and light chasing. They share their space with some flag fish a couple dozen gambusia and pick off the little ones and males, never touching the adult females although they could easily swallow them. I would guess there may be some issues as they grow, especially if you end up with 2 males. Very interesting fish to watch. Enjoy.
Oliver

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
Thanks for the reply! They seem to be doing good together right now in the 55, even resting on the same rock or plant at times. One is larger, almost twice the size of the other, and I was worried about it eating the smaller one, but that doesn't seem to be a problem because they really don't nip or fight at all.

farawayinn

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2008
cedar key, fl
www.farawayinn.com
Newt,
Two of my four, a larger one and a smaller one, have recently started hanging out and protecting an area around a burrow in the dense sagittaria growth and sand. They will sit tail to tail in that typical head up position for hours. They run off the other 2, but don't bother the other fish at all. I think the fatter ones are females, but not certain about that. The colors are amazing and they are fun to watch.
Oliver

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store