two toed amphiuma??

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
i have a friend of a friend who is offering me a 30" two toed amphiuma for free. his is apparently in a 110g tank right now with small fish, but from what ive read this is an aqautic salamander??

anyone have some info on them?? and wether or not they may be compatible with my larger fish in the 250g??

i know my 250 is only 26" wide, but its more than 2x the size of what he's living in now.

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
wow....did i find something members of MFK have no experience with?? lol

or does this belong is the reptile section possibly?

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
They are night hunters. will eat/hurt/kill anything that gets to close to there face. i keep one (3) toe in a 125gal to him self. I had him with 6'' blue gill and a 8'' LMB. They can be kept with fast fish.

Mine is at 3'.

DSCF1907.JPG

DSCF2352.JPG

DSCF2354.JPG

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
you think he would be safe with a 12" oscar and 2 pacu that are both a few inches shy of 2'?? he says his is in with small fish, but from what ive read about their bites, i wouldent trust him my small guys i dont think. i know my larger fish wont eat him atleast, as they have been with a 4" delhezi in there and havent paid him no mind.

what conditions is yours kept at chinook?? temp?? foods??? all that good stuff.

this guy seems really interesting and i find myself wanting him real bad since its someting ive never cared for yet. so im more than willing to move around a few smaller fish from the 250g, or give them away for the sake of a new aquatic creature that you dont see too often. :)

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
I keep him at or around 68 to 76 degrees. Feeding is tricky, i feed him with chop stick. I wave the food in front of his face, then he hits the food. I feed him shrimp, squid, mussels, octopus, all by chop sticks.

The stock you have should be good.

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
haynchinook334;2658880; said:
I keep him at or around 68 to 76 degrees. Feeding is tricky, i feed him with chop stick. I wave the food in front of his face, then he hits the food. I feed him shrimp, squid, mussels, octopus, all by chop sticks.

The stock you have should be good.
feeding with chop sticks.....that sounds fun. seems like i can basically just feed him whatever is on sale at the seafood isle for the week be it shrimp, or whatever based on what you feed yours. keeps things cheap and simple then :)

not much info ive found at all about keeping these guys in home aquaria, so looks like its going to be some trial and error along the way finding how to keep him best.

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
Haynchinook's giving you good info, so all I'll add is that these guys are escape artists. You need a secure lid.

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
yea, i was told he can make a rope fish look like an amateur.

i got an oversized piece of plywood on the tank that keeps my big pacu in when they feed, so im sure it will hold one of these guys back.

gonna go get him this weekend i think. put him in with my pacu and oscar until i can find another big tank to keep him in seperately.

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
Bottomfeeder;2662472; said:
they are occasionally caught by fisherman who think its an eel. well eels dont have a bad attitude and gator-like teeth. beware, they will bite. hard.
according to several websites, the only reptile or amphibian in N.America to have a worse bite is the common snapping turtle. the Amphiuma's have two rows of razor sharp teeth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store