Uh oh! Been bought a gift fish and don't know what to do

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
If you have the room you could get a metal framed pool and keep it inside like an indoor pond. That would be the cheapest, and biggest way to do it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yea that would be awesome but I really don't have the room indoors and even if i did i think my gf would take a lot of convincing, i wish i had a basement!! :( i have the room to go 5'x12' and a lot deeper in the garden if I build a really well insulated plywood/concrete tank but depends on my circumstances over the next few years to if I can build it in time...

Also worried about it working with my current and planned stock :/

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Sorry I didn't see you previously post about a pond, that's not an option as I'm in the uk and it would be almost impossible to heat threw the winter

you don't need to heat it just keep the water from getting frozen. The fish will not likely to grow pass 4' in 10 years so you will have quite a bit of time to deal with it.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Returning it is the best option. Or sell it to a person who has a large pond.
Yea your probably right but I know its fate probably ends in a 2'x6' at best if I take it back, not to many seriouse MFKs that I know of in the uk and I think tropical ponds will be super rare if there are any because the winter here is cold, I will look tho, I have time he is only around 3" ATM

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Ok, what's the minimum temp for it?

just keep the water from freezing over and have some surface water area for it to breath since it need to take air from the surface. There is no minimum water temperature for it since water can't go below 0 degree Celsius.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If your pond if deep enough, it won't freeze over. Gator gars are very tough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store