Uknown sudden death of entire stock

Kash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
Lynn Haven, Fl.
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what happened to some of my favorite fish. I have a 30g established planted tank that has been running for over a year with a diy CFL light setup, diy canister filter and pressurized CO2. I had a Synodontis catfish, a Delhezi Bichir, 3 Kribensis and 3 Chinese algae eaters in there. About 7 weeks ago, a friend of mine gave me a Synodontis catfish he'd had for about 3 years. It was in my quarantine tank until Thursday night, with no issues, and I moved it to the planted tank.

On Friday night all fish were alive and well, swimming around as usual. Saturday night I didn't pay too much attention to them except for feeding at around 8 pm, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Sunday morning at around 5 am, before I left for work, I found every single fish in the tank dead. They all had a slight yellowish color to their skin and scales, no cuts, bite marks or anything like that.

Any ideas what might have cause this? Other than a slightly elevated ammonia level, all water parameters including pH, nitrite and nitrate were normal. The regulator is working properly, and even in case of a malfunction, it's setup on a Hagen ladder, which would prevent over absorption of co2 into the water.

Kash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
Lynn Haven, Fl.
Thanks, I haven't been able to find anything like this online. I'm fairly certain I can rule out any water condition issues, simply because the Bichirs have lungs too, which they can use in case they are living in low quality water. Couldn't have been an electrical malfunction since the timer is still showing the correct time and the backup battery on it went bad a while ago. The power head is still running fine and I completely remove heaters during the warmer months and haven't put them back in any of my tanks yet.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Could be CO2 any time the CO2 level rises above 25ppm you enter the danger zone. Ammonia checked after the fish kill would normally be up slightly. What was the Ph and Kh levels?

Kash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
Lynn Haven, Fl.
Weekly 25% water changes with monthly filter cleaning. The last one had been done last Saturday or Sunday. Couldn't have been ammonia poisoning since there was no ammonia present after the water change, I didn't do anything different for the filter to cycle again, and the level the ammonia is at now, would not have killed an adult size Bichir.

Kash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
Lynn Haven, Fl.
pH at about 7, I don't test for kH. I really don't think it was high CO2 levels, the regulator is setup for about 1.5 bubbles per second and everything was alive Saturday night, 7 hours after the regulator's solenoid had already shut off. I found the fish dead in the morning before the timer would've kicked the solenoid back on. I've had this regulator setup on the same tank for about 4 months now.

projectile

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2007
ind
Could be what's called end of tank dump, basically the co2 cylinder almost empties and that reduced pressure doesn't get regulated by your needle valves and a whole lot of co2 gets dumped in tank in matter of say half hour. Ph plummets and disaster!!
Faced this twice before i got solenoids for my co2.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
Lynn Haven, Fl.
As mentioned earlier, there were no heaters in the tank at all. I remove them completely during the summer months and it hasn't gotten cold enough here yet for me to put them back in.

I know about the end of tank dump, I have the Milwaukee regulator with the built in solenoid and the tank is still more than half full, so that's out too. Plus, rather than a reactor, diffuser or atomizer, I just use a Hagen ladder for the co2 diffusion which would prevent too much co2 being absorbed into the water. If it comes out at a really high rate, the ladder will simply allow huge co2 bubbles to float up to the surface without much of them being diffused in the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store