Uknown sudden death of entire stock

projectile

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2007
ind
Kash
Do you have a active substrate or inert ?

Sent from my GT-I9100G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
Lynn Haven, Fl.
Got about 1.5 inches of organic potting soil (or mix, can't remember which,) 1.5 inches of CaribSea Eco Complete all capped off with a thin layer of pool filter sand.
I have a piece of Cypress driftwood with Anubias, Ludwigia Repens, Tiger lotus, jungle val and dwarf sag in the tank. A bunch of rams horn snails and a couple of assassin snails, which are perfectly fine.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Any way something was sprayed in the room. Cleaning supplies, air fresheners? Stuff of that nature? Some sort of outside contaminates

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Any way something was sprayed in the room. Cleaning supplies, air fresheners? Stuff of that nature? Some sort of outside contaminates
It has to be something of this nature due to the fact everything died basically at the same time.... some contamination factor seems likely and even if the fish your friend gave you was by chance infected it most definitely wouldn't take out all your stock at the same time.

How ever that much sub capped with pfs can lead to gas pockets which your snails or something may have stirred up, this would be even more fatal if you don't run a bubbler at night. assuming since your solenoid was off it was probably night which would also make your ph swing and your temps obviously fluctuate since you don't have a heater! Couple that with ammonia or highish nitrates and it just seems like it all played out in sync to cause serious stress!

Sorry

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 6 wins in a row!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

Kash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
Lynn Haven, Fl.
I don't spray anything around the house (pesticides, air fresheners, etc.) I have 7 aquariums in the same room with 2 within a few feet of this one and those have no issues. One of the main reasons for having all the rams horn snails is for them to stir up the substrate to avoid gas pockets. I just put a couple of assassins in there to keep their population in check. No issues for over a year that the tank has been setup. I forgot to mention that there is an air pump on the tank, but with it being heavily planted, I don't really see the need for it. My AC is set at the same temperature and I check the temps every night and every morning. It goes from 74-76 which is fine for Africans. There wouldn't have been any ammonia in there with a fully cycled filter until the dead fish caused it and nitrates are less than 5 ppm (again, heavily planted tank and plants absorb nitrates.)

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Could be what's called end of tank dump, basically the co2 cylinder almost empties and that reduced pressure doesn't get regulated by your needle valves and a whole lot of co2 gets dumped in tank in matter of say half hour. Ph plummets and disaster!!
Faced this twice before i got solenoids for my co2.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
This is what happened to my planted tank. Everything seemed fine, then one day all my pleco fry dead. Over 250 of them. The adults were almost dead but recovered.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RabidOstrich

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2013
Tennessee
Water plants produce oxygen during the day, but respire at night. It could be that when you added the new fish, you tipped the scale of an already delicate oxygen balance in favor of CO2. That could explain why all your fish seemed to have died at night, and why it was soon after adding a new, seemingly healthy fish.

Kash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
Lynn Haven, Fl.
This very well could've been the cause. I can't really think if anything else that hasn't been ruled out. It sucks that the fish may have died because of something I could've prevented.

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
I've seen a synodontis cat wipe a whole tank out over night. One of the members of my local aquarium club rescued one that was at 4" and it killed every fish in the tank over night, didn't eat them or anything. How big was the cat?? is it alive or dead also?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Many times when a fish dies, it will do so, in some hidden corner, and go unnoticed for a day or 2, this can set up a sort of chain reaction where conditions deteriorate rapidly, especially in a situation where the diurnal pH/oxygen/CO2 fluctuation is in a fragile state of equilibrium.
The added new fish could have killed only 1 other, but as that fish rots, conditions plummet, and fish start dying left and right, and the tank goes belly up over night.
I had a pump failure not long ago, in a rock and log filled rheophillic tank (a venturi aperture became plugged with snails causing O2 levels to drop for these high oxygen requiring fish) and a similar situation occurred. Seemed fine, the next day first thing in the morning, I walked in to find a floater of 2, but when I started moving logs and rock around, corpses seemed to come floating up from every crevice where fish had lodged themselves in a death struggle. I was only able to save half the fish by doing an 80% water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store