Ultimatum !!! Help with tank !

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
What if LFS has been substituting prime(as mentioned by RD) for another sodium th. based dechlor. With a chloramine treated water, the more water changes; would equal more ammonia being released.

I would get some fast growing floating water plants or pothos vine, if ammonia is the prob.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Prime = Safe, basically no difference for most folks except cost.

If the OP's LFS is buying the 20 liter pails of Prime at wholesale cost, and refilling customers at $5 per 500 ml container, that's pretty damn reasonable, and a good hook for bringing customers in to their store on a regular basis. I have no issue with Prime or Safe, that is a non issue. My only concern is double checking so that the OP isn't getting the shaft, and thinking he is using Prime but actually using something else, something that doesn't neutralize free ammonia. A simple little $10 gadget (Seachem Ammonia Alert) will answer that question once and for all.

Seeing as the OP feels that this issue is caused from ammonia, then the logical thing in my mind was to rule that out first.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hey, mate! Sorry to hear of all the trouble. Please, do what RD says. He's put it very simply and you will know ~ immediately.

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
When i woke up this morning i noticed 3 of my fish eyes were literally white . Not just cloudy, but WHITE . My clown knife and one of my bass have it really bad, and another bass has a small white dot in its eye. Here is a few pictures of whats going on, frankly am to a point of just getting rid of everything, dont want my mistakes being the cause of death of this fish. Only thing i did different was a 50% Water change instead of the regular 30% .fdsfd.jpg fdsf.jpg ffdsfdscvv.jpg fdsfwd.jpg Please let me know, here are the pictures

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Unless you can provide more info, all anyone here can do is take an educated guess as to exactly what's going on.

One of the most common causes of cloudy eyes in fish is poor water quality, which among other things can include prolonged exposure to ammonia. It could also be due to a massive shift in pH after each water change, or high nitrate levels, or .....

Early on in this topic Aquanero asked you
Can you post you're current parameters and then again right after a water change? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrate, hardness etc
....... yet unless I've missed your response none of these parameters have been posted.

Tom will bend over backwards to help you out, as will most of us here, but you have to provide more info.

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
Just tested water right now, and here are the results , also they have been agitated on the past 24 hours, running into the glass etc, easily spooked.

Well, here is the disaster .

8.0 Ammonia / 0 Nitrite / 0 Nitrate / 7.2 PH Posting pics in a sec

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Test your tap water. Post results.

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
Here are the pictures , Also guys i wanted to mention that i run a 75 G tank in my room filled with grow outs and i follow the same process as i do in my big tank and i have no issues on that tank. Currently has 3 x 5 " Azul Bass , 1 x 7" Flag Tail , 2 x 5" Armatus and 1 x 4 " Dorado , 1x 4" Tarpoonunnamed.jpg fdsfsdfs.jpg ffcsss.jpg fsdfdsff.jpg fsfs.jpg unnamed.jpg fdsfsdfs.jpg fdsfsdfs.jpg ffcsss.jpg fsdfdsff.jpg fsfs.jpg only filtration on that tank are 2 x AC110's . No issues with ammonia on that tank.

Here are the pictures :

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
Those were the results from the water coming inside the tank. Now these are the results from water straight from tap into test tube .

2.2 PPM Ammonia / 0 Nitrite / 0 Nitrate / 7.0 PH

Now, i grabbed a container, Filled it with tap water. Conditioned it with prime that i just purchased of Petsmart. It read 8.0 PPM + Ammonia .. am so confused what the heck is going on..

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store