Umbee Feeding Amount

JDCichlid

Exodon
MFK Member
May 7, 2021
I recently acquired a wild caught male Umbee and am growing him out alone in my 240 before I add him to the 775 gallon.

This is my first Umbee and I wanted to know if he’s eating enough. He is 6 inches. He eats about 3-6 jumbo carnisticks a day. I offer a few several time a day, but often times he swims up to them and won’t take them. He also spits them out if they’re soft (i.e. been in the tank for a couple minutes). He won’t touch any other pellets and won’t take any frozen foods I’ve offered either.

I’ve had him a week now. He is swimming around and appears very healthy. Is he just still adjusting or should I be concerned? I didn’t know if they are usually pigs or if this is typical.

JDCichlid

Exodon
MFK Member
May 7, 2021
I recently acquired a wild caught male Umbee and am growing him out alone in my 240 before I add him to the 775 gallon.

This is my first Umbee and I wanted to know if he’s eating enough. He eats about 3-6 jumbo carnisticks a day. I offer a few several time a day, but often times he swims up to them and won’t take them. He also spits them out if they’re soft (i.e. been in the tank for a couple minutes). He won’t touch any other pellets and won’t take any frozen foods I’ve offered either.

I’ve had him a week now. He is swimming around and appears very healthy. Is he just still adjusting or should I be concerned? I didn’t know if they are usually pigs or if this is typical.
Feeding the Umbee 1or 2 times a day is good. Feeding to much will cause water quality issues.
Well yeah I understand that, but he’s only eating like 2-4 carnisticks a day on average. Doesn’t seem like he’s eating enough.

Reactions: tlindsey

maxstillen

Dovii
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Denver, CO
After time he will adjust to the feeding and will eat more. I've bought 10+ inch fishes before and they would eat so little. Even after a long time. But at 6 inches he should adapt and eat more if you tend to him.

Reactions: JDCichlid

JDCichlid

Exodon
MFK Member
May 7, 2021
After time he will adjust to the feeding and will eat more. I've bought 10+ inch fishes before and they would eat so little. Even after a long time. But at 6 inches he should adapt and eat more if you tend to him.
Thanks good to hear. Really wanna be able to watch him develop

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I wouldn't expect after only a week, for a sentient species like an umbi, to be anywhere near comfortable enough yet to act normal..
Sometimes wild caught species like these take a month or 2 to settle in
Is it the blue variant, from very soft waters in S America?
If so, I hope you have soft, low pH tap water, because they tend to be susceptible to disease in harder alkaline water.
If your water is hard, it would be a good idea to start buying DI water to dilute during water changes, or....
invest in an RO/DI system if you haven't already.

JDCichlid

Exodon
MFK Member
May 7, 2021
I wouldn't expect after only a week, for a sentient species like an umbi, to be anywhere near comfortable enough yet to act normal..
Sometimes wild caught species like these take a month or 2 to settle in
Is it the blue variant, from very soft waters in S America?
If so, I hope you have soft, low pH tap water, because they tend to be susceptible to disease in harder alkaline water.
If your water is hard, it would be a good idea to start buying DI water to dilute during water changes, or....
invest in an RO/DI system if you haven't already.
Yes sir he’s a Rio Mag. I got him from Kevin at TUIC. My tap water has a pH of 6.4-6.6 but does tend to land on the harder side. I have an RO system so that’s definately something I plan on doing. I actually heard Dan (from COTA) talk about Umbies kept in hard water developing calcification on the eyes later in life. Thanks for the response on his behavior. He’s such an amazing fish I wanted some feedback from you guys with more experience with Umbee. Sounds like he’s perfectly fine.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Yes sir he’s a Rio Mag. I got him from Kevin at TUIC. My tap water has a pH of 6.4-6.6 but does tend to land on the harder side. I have an RO system so that’s definately something I plan on doing. I actually heard Dan (from COTA) talk about Umbies kept in hard water developing calcification on the eyes later in life. Thanks for the response on his behavior. He’s such an amazing fish I wanted some feedback from you guys with more experience with Umbee. Sounds like he’s perfectly fine.
Your waters pH sounds good, and since you have an RO system, even better, to dilute that hardness.

Reactions: JDCichlid
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store