Umbee Feeding Amount

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
I recently acquired a wild caught male Umbee and am growing him out alone in my 240 before I add him to the 775 gallon.

This is my first Umbee and I wanted to know if he’s eating enough. He is 6 inches. He eats about 3-6 jumbo carnisticks a day. I offer a few several time a day, but often times he swims up to them and won’t take them. He also spits them out if they’re soft (i.e. been in the tank for a couple minutes). He won’t touch any other pellets and won’t take any frozen foods I’ve offered either.

I’ve had him a week now. He is swimming around and appears very healthy. Is he just still adjusting or should I be concerned? I didn’t know if they are usually pigs or if this is typical.
I would suggest keeping him in a 75 and feed him twice a day. Feeding a variety of dozen krill, massivore, sprulina pellets, blood worms, etc. only what he’s gonna eat during each feeding. And do 30% wc 2-3x a week

Reactions: JDCichlid

JDCichlid

Exodon
MFK Member
May 7, 2021
I would suggest keeping him in a 75 and feed him twice a day. Feeding a variety of dozen krill, massivore, sprulina pellets, blood worms, etc. only what he’s gonna eat during each feeding. And do 30% wc 2-3x a week
You think that he’ll learn to eat better in a smaller tank? I can easily do that I’ve got a 75 up and running in the fish room.
The past 4 days he actually hasn’t eatin anything. He just spits them out. I’ll keep trying.

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
You think that he’ll learn to eat better in a smaller tank? I can easily do that I’ve got a 75 up and running in the fish room.
The past 4 days he actually hasn’t eatin anything. He just spits them out. I’ll keep trying.
In my experience he will benefit by establishing safely his own territory and comfort. But the biggest benefit is going to be the ability to do faster water changes and isolate it to just him instead of larger tank and tankmates. I have had excellent results. You can have tankmates for this process but I recommend submissive ones or divide him awhich will also help

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
As far as eating goes, this is typical for new addition. They’ll get their appetite back. No need to stress over it.

Reactions: tlindsey

JDCichlid

Exodon
MFK Member
May 7, 2021
In my experience he will benefit by establishing safely his own territory and comfort. But the biggest benefit is going to be the ability to do faster water changes and isolate it to just him instead of larger tank and tankmates. I have had excellent results. You can have tankmates for this process but I recommend submissive ones or divide him awhich will also help
Thanks he’s just alone in the 240 as well

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
Oh ok, then I would say it’s a personal preference for time being. I do like the idea of keeping him in the larger tank for as long as you can. I guess I didn’t realize that he was solo in there… so I would have to digress a bit then and you would be totally fine keeping him where he is. Water changes can be a bit more time consuming lol but might as well get used to it .. lol. It will take a bit , but he will come out of his shell.

Fish rescue

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2023
sounds like your aware of everything, umbe not eating ???? , over time even the best dry foods get turned away , clean water 82 , he'll start eating

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store