Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
depends on what it is with they are very aggressive fish

Eric L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
washington
I have only seen them in the wild but as far as I can tell they are very aggresive and territiorial. They will eat anything small enough that they think they can fit it in there mouth and I guess they think they have a pretty big mouth because I saw one take on a small octopus that had 6in long legs and the fish was about half that. I have also seem them more than a foot in the wild. I would not say that they are reef safe nor invert safe at all.

waylon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2005
beanstation tn
I had to give mine away should probably be kept alone. He took chunks out of my yellow tang it died.one of if not the most agressive aquarium fish so im told. I found out first hand

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
2nd only to the Queen trigger as far as aggression. Up around 20". Suitable Tankmates are few and far between, depending on size of aquarium. I have seen a single Undulate dominate a 240gal aquarium killing everything in the tank. Including heaters. If you are looking for a more suitable trigger try the Blue Chin, or Niger Trigger. The blue chin gets about 8 inches and is a planktivore, so species to place with it would be anything that stays low in the water column.

mybikeisred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
Seaside, CA
They will only grow to about a foot, and they grow slowly compared to a queen or a clown trigger. They will always be a threat to your whole tank. Introduce them last, and make sure the other fish are bigger. Don't put them in with anything you can't afford to lose. The more often you feed them live food, the more aggressive they tend to be.

Wintergrean

Feeder Fish
Aug 14, 2015
I purchased a small undulate trigger. Everything in the tank was larger. They are all still alive (about 10 fish). Everything I have introduced since, it has killed within seconds! It's been about a year of ownership. I'm getting aggravated that I can't introduce cleaner inverts. I need them badly, but I don't want to give up "my baby."

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
When I was into salt a customer had turned in two eight inch undulated triggers due to their agggression and the shop owner practically gave them to me.He said didn't want to keep dealing with customers bringing the fish back to him.
Maybe you could look into some nocturnal inverts and place them in the tank in the evening after the lights have been turned off.

Reactions: Wintergrean

Wintergrean

Feeder Fish
Aug 14, 2015
When I was into salt a customer had turned in two eight inch undulated triggers due to their agggression and the shop owner practically gave them to me.He said didn't want to keep dealing with customers bringing the fish back to him.
Maybe you could look into some nocturnal inverts and place them in the tank in the evening after the lights have been turned off.

I hadn't thought about that. I think I might try it. I am having a MAJOR green hair algae problem and I can't add any cleaners due to the trigger. This might be the trick! Thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store