University Breeding Docs?

glovanator

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone know a good source for university breeding papers?

I want to breed Roseline Sharks/Denison Barbs. They say it's difficult and only done by universities, rarely in a home aquarium.

If it's being done in Universities people must be writing papers on how to do it right? Where can I find a source of knowledge?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When doing a little research on this a while back ....
!st I googled the Kerala India regions seasonal cycles, monsoon rains, cool in between with water temps down to 60'F.
pH also changes drastically from acidic to alkaline during the seasons, which may also prep the fish for spawning
and these seasonal Monsoon water pH and temp changes somehow affect the seasonal rhythmic spawning patterns of this species of barb Nov thru April.
These changes may be some of the reasons aquarium spawnings have been few and far between
But I could not find not enough info to determine important details.

The aquarium must also be large (at least 6 ft, min 125 gal) half filled with aquatic plants, and have a strong current with highly oxygenated water to mimic natural conditions, and the population of the tank must be quite large, some suggest a dozen mature enough individuals.
Along with normal filtration, I considered adding a couple power heads sending current along the length of the tank, to create a (minimum) a riffles type environment.
But I moved and no longer have access to them in the country I have moved to.

Reactions: glovanator

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
* Most academic research articles can be accessed through an educational account/emails by affiliation.
* If you don't belong to an educational institution, your nearest major public library may have access
* Some articles are available to anyone without needing to login. Author dependent.
* Many article owners are happy to provide their published results if you politely ask by emailing with an explanation.

Which articles specifically are you after? Let me know by private message as I work at a large research university.

Yes, I breed Denison barbs at home amongst other species but I have fairly large aquarium facilities. I hormone induce. Reading a scientific journal on how this is done will only give you a starting guide as you still require a lot of fish observation, behavioral recognition, experience and understanding. Especially if you have limited numbers of broodstock. On commercial fish farms, they may induce 1000 fish at once and be satisfied with a five percent spawn rate.

Like all fish breeding, the spawning event is the easiest part with hatching and first feeds being more challenging.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store