unsolved mystery

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
Looks like a crash, why tho? Something killed a bunch of bb... Possibly water to hot during change?? Do you use a warm water change like me? I have to be careful with my mixer taps?
i dont use warm water.. not to cold either. just about the same temp as the tank

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
Looks like a crash, why tho? Something killed a bunch of bb... Possibly water to hot during change?? Do you use a warm water change like me? I have to be careful with my mixer taps?
i dont use warm water.. not to cold either. just about the same temp as the tank
Too many cool fish in one tank that is why haha.
Really?

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
I think that you should test your tap water BEFORE adding prime. Prime is an ammonia binder.
thanks...did that every time before water change. tape water is good.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I think you were just a victim of circumstances beyond your control. Maybe a water main broke on the other side of town or something to that effect. I've heard (and experienced) similar perils in my years. Kinda makes you jaded when something so trivial can be so costly.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Where do you keep your hose, maybe something from your storage are could have leaked or been spilt into or onto it?, maybe something on your hands or children thrown something into the open tank, dead / missing fish?
New ornaments?
Who knows....

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
This time of the year, water suppliers often replace old sections of pipe or valves and then flush the system, or simply flush to remove sediment. They then shock the first wave of water that goes through with extra disinfectant. This first wave is toxic for aquatic organisms, and it's likely what caused your loss. By the time you replaced water a second time, the wave had passed and you got "regular" tap water again.

This has happened too many of us. Had nothing to do with filters, temperature, or pH as is often hypothesized in these threads.

It hasn't happened to me since I installed a drip system. With a drip, I inevitably catch every shock wave, but only a few gallons, which is diluted to a non-lethal dose in a large tank. Compare this to an 80% or so water change.

Sticky, this sucks. Sorry to hear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store