Update on my Dat

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
Looking good. You are making me miss my Oscar
My oscar is pretty cool. Found him as a trade in at my lfs. No HITH or anything at all. I'm pretty happy with him. Hubby had to talk me into getting him at first.

The biggest issue I had at first was figuring out how to get food past him to my dat. Got that figured out and everyone is happy again!

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Why did you think a Oscar tiger mix wouldn't work I haven't tried it but can see why it wouldn't work

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Well, because of potential aggression problems, you never know if the oscar may or may not accept the datnoid, and bam, one or the other gets hurt, so yeah.. And I've also been searching around the forums everywhere online about a dat and oscar together with no luck and haven't found anyone with them housed together until now.. Both fish are known to be on the meaner, territorial side of things, but I think as long as there is enough space, chances are I suppose they could co-exist, sooo yeah, I was just really really wary, worried of them not getting along lol And thought they might not be compatible with each other.. Now I got confirmation.. things will work out hopefully when I intro my datnoid once it's big enough with the oscar in the monster tank. :p

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
Well, because of potential aggression problems, you never know if the oscar may or may not accept the datnoid, and bam, one or the other gets hurt, so yeah.. And I've also been searching around the forums everywhere online about a dat and oscar together with no luck and haven't found anyone with them housed together until now.. Both fish are known to be on the meaner, territorial side of things, but I think as long as there is enough space, chances are I suppose they could co-exist, sooo yeah, I was just really really wary, worried of them not getting along lol And thought they might not be compatible with each other.. Now I got confirmation.. things will work out hopefully when I intro my datnoid once it's big enough with the oscar in the monster tank. :p
You have to know the temperament of the individual fish, of course. I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that these two particular fish were NOT raised together. I bought the oscar years later after my dat was well established. Funny thing is my dat has never been territorial. The only aggressive thing the dat does is chase my butti around once in a while. The oscar and dat are cool with each other.

I would be leery on adding them together if you already knew one was territorial/aggressive. But that goes without saying any time you have a community.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I think it's a risk with any mixed comm tank

Even aro and tiger sometimes fight
It's making sure they are well matched that's the key with no clear winner

My aro and ST fight every other month
Sometimes ST is boss other times the aro is boss
As long as it's no more than split fins and nothing is pushed into a corner and not feeding it's best to let it roll

That said you do need to have a heart of stone at some point

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I kept a 10" oscar and 13" NTT together for quite a while. It was a great combo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks for the replies guys. :) Good to know those kinds of things.. I hope things will go my way when the time comes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store