Updated Gar photos/tank

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Here is a picture of the tank on 7-06. As you can see the lily grows pretty fast. i would say all the new leaves from at the top are from perhaps the last two weeks. I would suggest anyone with a gar get one, because as you said they do seem to enjoy the top cover.

uploadfromtaptalk1404701683504.jpg

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Here is a picture of the tank on 7-06. As you can see the lily grows pretty fast. i would say all the new leaves from at the top are from perhaps the last two weeks. I would suggest anyone with a gar get one, because as you said they do seem to enjoy the top cover.
Nice, my favorite plant with gars was water wisteria. Hornwort, valisineria also look good with them. I have to ask though, you a fan of multi colored gravel?

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
i actually have some Water Wisteria in there. However do to my lighting being inadequate they are not thriving like that had in my 20gl grow tank. I plan on getting this fixed as soon as possible. Haha the gravel situation is unfortunately a by product of lack of funds when i was setting up the tank. I had extra gravel from when i put together my daughters' tanks. One has glowfish the other has odd ball goldish. I sent my wife up to get some more Caribsea Floramax and she came back with one bag. I had already pulled all the plants from my 20gl emptied and cleaned it out. So i needed to get them planted regardless. Do i ended up with a little bit of everything. Now i'm kind stuck with what i have.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
i actually have some Water Wisteria in there. However do to my lighting being inadequate they are not thriving like that had in my 20gl grow tank. I plan on getting this fixed as soon as possible. Haha the gravel situation is unfortunately a by product of lack of funds when i was setting up the tank. I had extra gravel from when i put together my daughters' tanks. One has glowfish the other has odd ball goldish. I sent my wife up to get some more Caribsea Floramax and she came back with one bag. I had already pulled all the plants from my 20gl emptied and cleaned it out. So i needed to get them planted regardless. Do i ended up with a little bit of everything. Now i'm kind stuck with what i have.
What was the lighting? Often I find that the best stuff is often the free stuff, I just went to the river and grabbed a few 100lbs of river sand. That was the best substrate I ever used and ended up putting it in a 90g, a 75g, 2 20 longs, and a 20 high. Regardless of what happened the tank looks good

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Thanks i appreciate it, i really like how you had your tank setup. Where did you get your driftwood. There isn't really anywhere around here to to collect and the prices for the large pieces i want are astronomical. I am going down to Tampa FL in November and i plan on checking out on spots down there. I have been told they have a ton of driftwood. Thats not a bad idea at all with the sand. Unfortunately in Ohio we don't have sand bottom river and or lakes. Creeks have small pebble sized stones. Most of our rivers and lakes are all actually mud bottom. Michigan and Pennsylvania both have beautiful crystal clear water stream and rivers. Our are murky brown. Where in ON are you located?

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Thanks i appreciate it, i really like how you had your tank setup. Where did you get your driftwood. There isn't really anywhere around here to to collect and the prices for the large pieces i want are astronomical. I am going down to Tampa FL in November and i plan on checking out on spots down there. I have been told they have a ton of driftwood. Thats not a bad idea at all with the sand. Unfortunately in Ohio we don't have sand bottom river and or lakes. Creeks have small pebble sized stones. Most of our rivers and lakes are all actually mud bottom. Michigan and Pennsylvania both have beautiful crystal clear water stream and rivers. Our are murky brown. Where in ON are you located?
I collected mine from the shore of lake simcoe. Check out native fish keeper on YouTube, I believe he's from Ohio and he collects all his sand and driftwood as well. Good luck in Florida I hope you find what your looking for. I live on the south side of simcoe on cooks bay, I travel to many provincial parks throughout Ontario though. When I was in Killarney I was astonished by all the amazing pieces of driftwood that were in the lakes. I do portaging trips from lake to lake and the one we went on, the bottom was covered in driftwood with water 4-5ft deep

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Thanks for the information. I'll have to check out his youtube page. I know where that is just from my job constantly shipping to and from ON. Sounds like an awesome trip, i have to make it up there someday. Heard the fishing is phenomenal. Thanks Dive, I got him about two months ago, . I've been so busy with work havent been on here as much lately. What have you been up to? You finish that Native tank yet? I am thinking about doing a Bowfin to go along with the gar if i can ever find one. The wife finally is letting me get a big enough tank lol!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the information. I'll have to check out his youtube page. I know where that is just from my job constantly shipping to and from ON. Sounds like an awesome trip, i have to make it up there someday. Heard the fishing is phenomenal. Thanks Dive, I got him about two months ago, . I've been so busy with work havent been on here as much lately. What have you been up to? You finish that Native tank yet? I am thinking about doing a Bowfin to go along with the gar if i can ever find one. The wife finally is letting me get a big enough tank lol!
Cool. Thanks for asking, I'm up three native tanks (one with chubs and a green sunfish, one with riffle fish, one as a yellow perch growout) at this point (6 total) and setting up my 7th

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Very cool. Do you have photos up? Ill have to check them out if you do. Lep, in your experience when housing multiple gar did they ever rake one another?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store