(Updated) Help me with my 1000 Gallon dream community tank

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Perhaps you could do a pure Aussie tank, different species of rainbow fish along with some lungfish. I reckon the rainbows would be fast and probably large enough (I‘m thinking specifically the large rainbow fish species, not the tiny ones) to not get eaten. I’m not sure if this is a good idea, so I’m sorry if its stupid but it could be a cool idea.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Or perhaps you could do a stingray, arowana, and gar tank with maybe some silver dollars as dithers.

LungfishLover1

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2023
Perhaps you could do a pure Aussie tank, different species of rainbow fish along with some lungfish. I reckon the rainbows would be fast and probably large enough (I‘m thinking specifically the large rainbow fish species, not the tiny ones) to not get eaten. I’m not sure if this is a good idea, so I’m sorry if its stupid but it could be a cool idea.
Its a good idea, the species would like each other and i actually did consider it with the "blue rainbowfish" species, im just thinking about how I dont really like any of their colors, personal opinion obviously just prefer the more natural look even if they do appear in nature im sure you get what I mean

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

thiswasgone

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Please correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but does the chart say that you want to have 3 lungfish? If so, I don't think that will work, I've heard that lungfish perfer to be kept alone.
AUL are only aggressive to others AUL when young (typically under 8" up to 1.5' ) BUT this is only the case when they perceive there is not enough food around to support their own growth. This aggression is exacerbated when there is not enough space (aquarium foot print) and hiding places. As per http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/sprat/public/publicspecies.pl?taxon_id=67620

" Experiments have shown that they can accurately locate buried prey using electroreception (Watt et al. 1999). Juvenile lungfish in captivity do not behave as they would in the wild. They are aggressive to other small Lungfish when they are living in a confined space, which often has limited food (Kemp 2016, pers. comm.). "

I can concur with this assesment as I am currently growing 3 fresh AULs (got them earlier this month at ~3 inches each) out in a 240g (8x2x2 filtered with a 30g dedicated DIY fluidized sump) and there has been 0 aggression between the 3. The tank layered with about 2" of HTH pool filter sand, a few cuts of PVC for hiding, and a sparse spread of Vallisneria Nana. Unfortunately my Vallisneria aren't doing 100% since I keep my nitrates basically near 0 with the other two at 0 as well. One thing to note is that AULs are nocturnal animals so they are only really active at night/0 light conditions. This makes it fairly difficult to pellet train these fish if you are attempting to grow out several at the same time such as me.

As for L LungfishLover1 what is your goal for this tank? Is it a tank dedicated to compliment the AULs with vibrant colors, is a tank dedicated for the biome of one of their native habitats, do you plan it to be bare bottom, planted, etc.

Once I know this information I can properly suggest tankmates.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

LungfishLover1

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2023
AUL are only aggressive to others AUL when young (typically under 8" up to 1.5' ) BUT this is only the case when they perceive there is not enough food around to support their own growth. This aggression is exacerbated when there is not enough space (aquarium foot print) and hiding places. As per http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/sprat/public/publicspecies.pl?taxon_id=67620

" Experiments have shown that they can accurately locate buried prey using electroreception (Watt et al. 1999). Juvenile lungfish in captivity do not behave as they would in the wild. They are aggressive to other small Lungfish when they are living in a confined space, which often has limited food (Kemp 2016, pers. comm.). "

I can concur with this assesment as I am currently growing 3 fresh AULs (got them earlier this month at ~3 inches each) out in a 240g (8x2x2 filtered with a 30g dedicated DIY fluidized sump) and there has been 0 aggression between the 3. The tank layered with about 2" of HTH pool filter sand, a few cuts of PVC for hiding, and a sparse spread of Vallisneria Nana. Unfortunately my Vallisneria aren't doing 100% since I keep my nitrates basically near 0 with the other two at 0 as well. One thing to note is that AULs are nocturnal animals so they are only really active at night/0 light conditions. This makes it fairly difficult to pellet train these fish if you are attempting to grow out several at the same time such as me.

As for L LungfishLover1 what is your goal for this tank? Is it a tank dedicated to compliment the AULs with vibrant colors, is a tank dedicated for the biome of one of their native habitats, do you plan it to be bare bottom, planted, etc.

Once I know this information I can properly suggest tankmates.
Yeah the goal is just a peaceful community visually centered around the australian lungfish, I took advice from these threads and there is now an updated version of the draft, sounds like you just did what im trying to do, what tankmates did you add, how is it looking?

IMG_3157.jpeg

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Lmao, hoped they would breed in the thousands or something before they became a food source
That's not going to happen before the other fish eat them. Also the butterfly fish won't work out, they will become expensive food for the arowana, plus they will be competing with the arowana for the top space, which won't work out well for the butterflys. Everything else looks great though :D.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store