Upgrade #1 4x8x2'

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
I researched lots of plywood only builds at and under 24" tall using matting or pour method with 1/4 thick epoxy out there, by this time next year I hope to have over 1000 gallons in them. I think the problem builds come from people trying to brush or roll way too little epoxy over too large an area. The 270 sump I built had 9 gallons of epoxy, I don't think it needs the plywood any more!
Coolkieth, thanks for the mention of Issak's build, hadn't seen that one!

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
muttley- Your pour method is one of the better methods I've seen. What I didn't like about it is that if it's done over bare plywood you'll get a lot of air bubbles. What I've learned is that the plywood needs a thin coat or two of resin to completely impregnate the surface (either brushed or rolled on). Then when you pour the next layer you don't get tons of air bubbles.

I've taken it step further also. I used FRP panels as a liner for the plywood, then poured resin over that. No bubbles. Didn't need to use as much resin either. Project has been on hold for a few months since I've been traveling a lot lately. Need to move the project to the heated indoors for the Fall/Winter also. I'll start a new thread once I get water in the tank.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
muttley- Your pour method is one of the better methods I've seen. What I didn't like about it is that if it's done over bare plywood you'll get a lot of air bubbles. What I've learned is that the plywood needs a thin coat or two of resin to completely impregnate the surface (either brushed or rolled on). Then when you pour the next layer you don't get tons of air bubbles.

I've taken it step further also. I used FRP panels as a liner for the plywood, then poured resin over that. No bubbles. Didn't need to use as much resin either. Project has been on hold for a few months since I've been traveling a lot lately. Need to move the project to the heated indoors for the Fall/Winter also. I'll start a new thread once I get water in the tank.
Bubbles were a problem, I poured each side 3 times to avoid issue, but it was a lot of epoxy. Brushing a seal cote, or using the FRP in that manner is very interesting. Are you documenting somewhere that I missed?

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Bubbles were a problem, I poured each side 3 times to avoid issue, but it was a lot of epoxy. Brushing a seal cote, or using the FRP in that manner is very interesting. Are you documenting somewhere that I missed?
Not yet. I'll start a new thread when I'm near putting water in the tank. Progress has been slow lately. Been traveling a lot and have other projects in the works that need to be done 1st. The tank is about 75% complete, but I'm in no real hurry to finish since my fish are doing fine in their current set-up. I've taken plenty of pictures of the build though.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Nice tank! I like the whole combo; tank, fish and plants. I hope you figure out the sealing issue.

The comment of the bugs had me thinking... it might be cool to hang a bug zapper above the tank for the summer months. Then you could leave the garage door open while you fish watch and watch the fish eat the bugs hitting the water. Tapping out the zapper into the tank could help supplement food too. Especially if you end up with some smaller dithers.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
It's 3/4 sanded ply. Seems to be a softwood, which further contributes to me wanting to tape the exterior seams. If I gave it a little more thought at the Home Depot I probably would have sprung for the oak or maple ply.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
If the plywood is exterior sheething plywood or subfloor plywood (I can't tell from the picture) it's actually stronger than furniture grade oak or maple plywood of the same thicknees. So a good choice, even if it was unintentional.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store