UPGRADE: 55 Gallon Tanganyika Tank

djm5222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
Wisconsin
nyinfamous2k2;4359222; said:
coral raises ph but its expensive to do a coral rock decor, you could always do a crushed coral substrate. Also you could do african cichlid live sand like this http://www.amazon.com/Carib-Sea-Ecco-Complete-Freshwater-African/dp/B0002DH0X0 (<-thats what I use as well as tanganyika buffer) but on the top of your list of things to get should definitely be the necessary test kits, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. without those you dont know whats really going on in your tank, and especially with tangs, they are pretty sensitive fish.
I need test kits definitely

carsona246;4359306; said:
I actually almost got some shell dwellers, interested to see how it works out
Shell dwellers are awesome... they are definitely a cichlid everyone needs to have once in their life

djm5222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
Wisconsin
So guess what... Finally got the second paycheck... Gonna get some pictures tomorrow when I hopefully get the Cyprichromis, Nerite Snails, and BN Pleco... Finally making some progress I thought I would make a month ago

djm5222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Heres the pics:

5 Cyprichromis (All he had left, Definitely 1 male... and the rest most likely females)

and 12 Nerite Snails

DSCN0329.JPG

DSCN0330.JPG

DSCN0331.JPG

swk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2009
Sonoma county
How big are those cyps? I dunno if it's distorted because of the bag, but the eyes look a little large to me. This can be a sign of stunted growth. Just curious

djm5222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
Wisconsin
They're between 2 and 3 inches... I'm pretty sure its just the bag... I'll try to get better pictures of them soon to see what you think... But they seem to be moving in quite well... It's really funny because they keep following the Brevis around... I'm in the middle of cleaning the tank... Darn little brevis started attacking my hand while I was arranging the shells... Nasty little buggers but cool... Here are some more pictures... Sorry about the bad quality but its not the best camera... and Sad to say... It may be a while for the pictures... I've been using my sister's digital camera since I don't have my own yet... and She leaves for college next Monday... Can't wait til shes gone... So... Hopefully in a month or two I will have my own... Looking to get a very nice camera that has a far zoom and great picture quality... Like one of the kind that is like the Digital SLR but isn't quite there yet

LIKE THIS ONE: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/FUJIFIL...lack/9766755.p?id=1218170029241&skuId=9766755

and that will be some time til I get enough money like 6 weeks

070.JPG

071.JPG

072.JPG

073.JPG

075.JPG

djm5222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
Wisconsin
2nd day since adding the new additions: I love the new fish and snails. I can't wait til the tank gets overgrown with vals (Currently have 14 separate plants) and when the fish start breeding.

A little bit on the bad side: I think I lost one of the brevis. I currently only see 2 and the third is missing. I hope that hes still in there somewhere. If not, I hope the two I have left is a pair

And My Goby Cichlid is showing a weird color around the top edge on his tail. It's red? Is it a male? Or is it just that color?

My hollowed out driftwood on the right is currently the home to a bull-like lucipinnis. He chases out ever one who enters the hole except 1 nerite snail that found his way into the small opening. I'm definitely guessing that this Synodontis is a male.

FUTURE PLANS: I hope to add the Platythelphusa crab and more rocks. Also, I want to add another light like the one I just bought, but instead getting it with 1 actinic bulb just to add the large-lake effect.

I'd like to add 1 large anubias (Maybe) and a stone/driftwood covered in Riccia Fluitans in the middle of the shells. I'd like this so that the fry, when they move out, have instant cover and maybe I can save 1 or 2 fry. (If I ever get fry *Fingers crossed*)

I'd like to add a 1 Rock dweller as well: Male Astatotilapia burtoni, Altolamprologus compressiceps 'Lufubu', Altolamprologus calvus 'White Chaitika', or Altolamprologus fasciatus (If I ever find one) Wish I could pick one already. It's a tough decision.

djm5222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Ahahah I'm curious too... I used to have small pH test kit but I'm not exactly sure where it went... I have added it to the list the next time I go to a LFS.

The List So Far:
Fall Pond Fish Food
Test kit

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store