Feb 25, 2020
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
~15
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
51-60%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello all! So I recently purchased (less than a week ago) a baby (~4”) silver arrowana. He was doing great, even ate for me last night. This morning I noticed however he had been extremely beat up (fins totally tattered, bite marks and small chunks taken out from him) overnight. He was still swimming but clearly was not doing well and I could see the other fish continuing to beat him up. I immediately removed him and placed him in a hastely set up 10 gallon QT tank (it’s the best I have) with water pumped from the tank he was in. I am heating the water up to 86 degrees slowly as I hear that is best. Treating the tank with melafix currently. Was doing ok but is now straight up and down.
I hear arrowana are extremely resilient fish and can recover but I want to ensure he has the best chance. Any advice on anything more I can do?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~15
50% water changes every 5 days

image.jpg

image.jpg

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
What other fish was he in with?
I had him with my African cichlids as they have completely ignored my hejuta gar the same size as him. They have ignored everything that isn’t another cichlid that I’ve added. Apparently he was different :/

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I would maintain it in the hospital tank and do water changes to maintain it pristine (very gently to avoid spooking). I would also stop all melafix applications and lower to temp to 80-82. The fish now needs very well oxygenated water, not less. Hopefully it will make it but it does not look good. Others may disagree. Good luck!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I would maintain it in the hospital tank and do water changes to maintain it pristine (very gently to avoid spooking). I would also stop all melafix applications and lower to temp to 80-82. The fish now needs very well oxygenated water, not less. Hopefully it will make it but it does not look good. Others may disagree. Good luck!
I would add to the above that much more floating vegetation would calm the fish; that sparse, empty, open-on-all-sides tank looks like an Arowana psychological torture chamber. Dim light, cardboard or garbage bags taped to all sides, minimal disturbance will all decrease stress.

But, yeah...it doesn't look hopeful.

Reactions: FINWIN and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store