Urgent help with White substance oozing out of holes on Datnoids face

Essaf Victor

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2017
Dubai
I feed mine on ghost shrimp and tilapia fry. I know shrimp is relatively high in thiaminase, but it is a natural food of dats. Tilapia maybe low in thiaminase, but come from a completely different continent. What is natural for dats is to get a variety in their diet. And I think live food is important too.

What your dat has may look like HITH, but I am not sure. Dats are not cichlids.

Yes, dats have their own diseases.

I would go careful on the salt. Dats come from freshwater only. I would keep doing lots of small water changes. Is there any driftwood or similar that he can blend in with? Being in the open can stress dats.
He’s in a fully scrapped tank so plenty of rocks and wood for him to hide in and as for lots of small water changes the tank is already on a drip system which is a continuous water change system so water quality shouldn’t be the culprit but will send a sample to be tested so we can surely element that

as for a varied diet I agree with that but most of the seafood available here is saltwater creatures which tend to be either high in thiamine or too fatty so I can’t think of a better option other than tilapia as a staple with the occasional shrimp/other seafood

Reactions: Midwater

Essaf Victor

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2017
Dubai
Were you able to notice if it started with white pimples? I recently got through this myself. My NTT started with pimples that ended up having lesions similar to the ones in your photo. The fish eventually lost his appetite. I treated with salt, Para Guard and was able to save the fish. Lesions and pimples are gone and the fish is eating well again. It was a long treatment of 3 weeks. Good luck!
I was out of town for about 3 months so my father was taking care of the tank and he didn’t notice if it was pimples first so don’t really know

but as for treatment route I will probably do what you did may I know the salt dosage you used

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Datnoids appreciate and tolerate a higher amount of salt concentration, I’m thinking 2tsp per gallon would be better? Just my thinking.
Usually it’s polota that’s comes from brackish waters. Think the others are pure freshwater. But can use higher doses.

Chosoni1

Feeder Fish
Sep 5, 2020
I usually follow API's dosage and then add in three more rounded tablespoons for good measure. The box for API salt recommends 1 rounded tblspn for every 5 gallons. I honestly don't know if it was the salt, the Para guard, aquarium temperature of 82 or the combination that was successful. I hope everything works out.

Reactions: Essaf Victor
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store