URGENT, please help me identify what could possibly be wrong with my ray

karllenz87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
philly
I recently purchased a reticulated tea cup ray from my LFS after having much success with a vary similar male I purchased about a week prior. Both the male and the female (as I hope I have sexed them correctly, a few members have confirmed my ID although it is irrelevant for this post) are about 6in in diameter and I have see both eat since they were brought home. Through my research I have come to find that retics are one of the hardest of the ray breeds to get eating in captivity, but the male is doing VERY well, quite the active little guy, where as the female does not seem to be keeping up with adapting to life in a tank as well. Her breathing seems far more rapid than the male, her movement far less, and her stimulation to food is less than engaging. She rarely moves, and when she does she keeps to about 1/4 of the 125g that she is currently housed in. All water parameters are correct, temperature is within range, and all other fish (one lima shovelnose cat) including the other ray are flourishing! I've noticed this clear to milky white stringy substance trailing from her backside and presumed it to be fecal matter although it did not seem 100% normal in this form. It does not appear to be her slime coat shedding since it is literally a string from her behind. I am worried this may be a sign of parasites or other internal concerns. I have researched the condition to the best of my ability, but come up with nothing helpful. PLEASE HELP as I do not want her to suffer if there is something wrong that I can correct. I have posted pictures here for reference & hopefully an ID and tips & pointers for possible treatment.

Thank you all in advance.

karllenz87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
philly
I've done water changes and tests the last few days more regularly than I typically have been at about a 20% water change daily to every other day. I've been monitoring the tank all evening, and have come to notice that the cat (lima shovel nose) seems to be shedding his slime coat not, especially around the gill area. He has been the most aggressive and most active fish in the tank, nocturnally especially, and has NEVER showed any sign of illness until right now. He is a rather intense and ferocious eater and devoured the second of my two baby arrowanas about a day ago. He is about 5.5" - 6" in length, and how he was able to fit a 2.5"- 3" fish into his mouth and stomach is beyond me. Could this be the concern?

NOW I AM REALLY WORRIED!!!Please tell me something is not plaguing my tank!!!

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
go buy a bottle of prazi pro and metro... follow intructions on bottlle.... i would do prazi for a week and then some serious 50% water changes followed by a week of metro.... again follow instructions on the bottle... where in philly are you? PM me your location maybe sunday i can swing by and check it out

karllenz87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
philly
You are AMAZING, many thanks. Does this mean defiantly parasites? Will it affect anything else in the tank, as in should i quarantine and or move things out of the tank, the other ray, the shovel nose during treatment, pretreatment, etc?

omojena

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
nj
Nic;3134127; said:
go buy a bottle of prazi pro and metro... follow intructions on bottlle.... i would do prazi for a week and then some serious 50% water changes followed by a week of metro.... again follow instructions on the bottle... where in philly are you? PM me your location maybe sunday i can swing by and check it out
^agree. prazi and metro have worked 100% of the time for me!

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
With cichlids the white stringy poo can mean hexamita, which is treated with metronidazole. but.....it is not always the case, that would usually be accompanied by a total lack of appetite in the fish. Sometimes fish will 'shed' intestinal lining. You need to get a microscope and look in the 'stuff' for parasite eggs. If there are none then it is probably just a normal thing, given that your ray is eating well.
Prazi is for tapeworms and gill flukes and would not be the right med for Hex.

Identify
Disease
Before
Treatment

IDBT

The Rat

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
UK
White stringy poo with little balls = parasite in 99.9% of the time don't wait till the ray stops eating treat ASAP. Prazi pro and metro as said in earlier post.

I have found prazi to be the best treatment for hex with my wifes import/FH's.

Rat

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store