Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Urgent! Poop eating fish needed.

Discussion in 'General Salt' started by Mattcomptonassvanhorn, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Mattcomptonassvanhorn

Mattcomptonassvanhorn MFK Members

Nov 26, 2008
      I need to know some poop eating fish for my 55, because I am at 20% water changes every 4-5 days. Trying to keep up with my parrot. please help before I drown.

2. craig

craig MFK Members

Jul 20, 2012
      Scats eat poop. Even though they are brackish you can get some fully marined.

3. P3R3

P3R3 MFK Members

Jul 24, 2007
      Does'nt exist.

4. Oddball

Oddball Paleoaquarist
      Staff Member

If there's BBQ, I'll answer to any name
      Yesterday at 10:47 PM
      Scats will not eat poop and neither will any other animal. Some fish, like scats, will scavenge through detritis to consume anything that hasn't been metabolized already. In the process of scavenging, they will break up/stir up that detritis so it can be more easily picked up by the filter. The same goes for burrowing snails, brittle stars, etc.
      Keep a healthy current running across the bottom of the tank that directs loose surface waste toward the filter intake. That will help a bit.

5. Ang

Ang I should be a Hookworm

Monday at 7:55 PM
      Fish dont eat poop dude.

Bottom feeders eat left over food or algae, but not poop.

You're just going to need to upgrade, or get better filtration.

Or just do larger water changes. Like 40% once a week. Then in between water changes, you could use one of those battery powered siphons that suck any poop sitting on the surface up. Kind of like a handheld vacuume. Just to keep it clean looking.

Adding another fish will only make your problem worse. You'll be getting twice as much poop in your tank as you were before.

6. Justin_James

Justin_James MFK Members

May 14, 2007
      Yep, It's true there is nothing that will do what you want it for. The myth of poop eating fish derives from the pleco. Alot of people think that the pleco will eat poop and so therefor they feel that any bottom dweller will do the same. Pet stores even sometimes tell people to put pleco in their freshwater systems to eat all the poop and then they think they don't have to clean them agin. hahaha. I recommend getting a good protein skimmer, lots of live rock, macro algae, and make sure there is lots of flow too. Your flow should be 10 times the water volume of your tank with all your equipment added together.

7. Ang

Ang I should be a Hookworm

Monday at 7:55 PM
      i thought we were talking about a freshwater setup. And i thought you meant blood parrot.
      my bad.

8. sour_girl

sour_girl MFK Members

Oct 4, 2010
      If you ever discover a fish that eats poop please let me know.. that person would become the richest person in the world instantly!!!!!!!!!!:D

9. waylon

waylon MFK Members

Nov 29, 2012
      You might try a protien skimmer.

10. Mattcomptonassvanhorn

Mattcomptonassvanhorn MFK Members

Nov 26, 2008
      I have a protein skimmer. But what about hermits or other crabs that are bottom dwellers?