Use UVB light to significantly enhance flowerhorn/fish coloration

Bassmaster360

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Get yourself a UVB lightbulb (generally used in the reptile-keeping hobby) that emits visible light, UVA, and UVB. This is the best artificial way of mimicking sunlight. Just like how sunlight gives us a tan, they enhance and deepen coloration on all fish. Don't believe all the fears online of how UV light will harm the fish. Do your research with actual scientific research publications rather than online hear-say and BS, zero harm as the glass/plastic you use that separates the bulb from the water AND the water itself absorbs most of the UVB leaving just enough for natural "tanning" of the fish like in nature with the sun. UVC light waves are the dangerous kind that is harmful to all life (used in aquarium water UV sterilizers that many people use).

Keep in mind most aquarium lighting, even those for reef/coral, don't emit much if any UVB light. UVB light is the primary source of "strong" enough light to stimulate the pigment cells.

They don't just make fish colors look better, the actual color pigment cells in the fish scales/skin actually deepen. This technique is already very prevalent with koi and arowana, I don't know why it hasn't spread to all other corners of the aquarium hobby. You can leave it on for as long as you would typically leave on any kind of aquarium lighting.

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Good “food for thought”…was going to mention asian aro “tanning” but u covered that aswell ?. I am surprised the tanning lights very popular over seas never carried over to the rest of the fish world over here.

Reactions: Bassmaster360

Bassmaster360

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Good “food for thought”…was going to mention asian aro “tanning” but u covered that aswell ?. I am surprised the tanning lights very popular over seas never carried over to the rest of the fish world over here.
Asia is the Mecca of the aquarium hobby. We here in the US and the rest of the western world are way behind in most aspects. I'm sure people may argue against that statement, but note that I said in "most" aspects, not all. I think most of it can be attributed to how much more popular keeping an aquarium is in Asia... bigger market and bigger industry motivates new innovations.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Asia is the Mecca of the aquarium hobby. We here in the US and the rest of the western world are way behind in most aspects. I'm sure people may argue against that statement, but note that I said in "most" aspects, not all. I think most of it can be attributed to how much more popular keeping an aquarium is in Asia... bigger market and bigger industry motivates new innovations.
Agree with ya there… were light years behind asia for aquaculture. Its a joke they breed/produce more of our U.S. natives than we do over here ?‍♂… Un tapped market here for food production let alone replenishing our own native populations or extra $$ for color morphs/“hobby sales”… the fishing industry fuels a bit of aquaculture here but even that is still pretty new with “proper” practices catching on finally for conservation. Its more so for the states revenue than conservation tho lol

Reactions: Bassmaster360
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store