Used 120G. What's with this bracing?

Cry Havoc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2009
Utah
Sorry to bring this back up, but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

1. Pretend the wood in the pic below is a piece of 3/8" glass. Is this how I'm supposed to attach it (right under the trim, where the old brace used to be)? If so, it seems like the surface area of glass-on-glass is pretty small, but I have nothing to base that on, so perhaps I'm just being paranoid. A test of silicon on the existing trim confirmed silicon does not adhere to the plastic trim. Can someone confirm this is the correct method and the glass-on-glass surface area is enough and won't pull apart? If the pic does not represent how I'm supposed to brace it, would someone please correct me in how to attach the glass bracing?

2. The internal dimensions are 17 and 1/4 inches. As you can see, the wood cut to that length fits perfectly and snug. I was thinking of having the glass cut 1/16" shorter than that to make some room for the silicon. Correct thing to do, or just make it as snug as possible?

3. It seems like those who suggested a 12" piece of glass might have meant for that to be the sole brace in the middle. I was thinking of doing two 8" wide braces, one where each of the original braces were. Would this be enough, or would you suggest two separate 12" braces?

SAM_1804.JPG

SAM_1804.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store