Used Acrylic tank bubbling...please help

onsloth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2024
I bought a used 180 gallon acrylic aquarium.
It had fish in it right before I bought and I did a leak test.

The problem is there's bad bubbling at the top seam and a little on the side corner.
Should I try to fill these with Weldon-4,16, or just seal the whole top with weld-on 40?
Cosmetically I was thinking weldon-4 or 16 for the bubbles before the Weld-on 40. However I don't "need" to do that step. It might just help resell down the road.

Screenshot_20240507-120153.png

Screenshot_20240507-120147.png

Screenshot_20240507-120127.png

Reactions: Irecruitfish

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
wednesday13 wednesday13 should be able to offer some excellent suggestions for a fix.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I bought a used 180 gallon acrylic aquarium.
It had fish in it right before I bought and I did a leak test.

The problem is there's bad bubbling at the top seam and a little on the side corner.
Should I try to fill these with Weldon-4,16, or just seal the whole top with weld-on 40?
Cosmetically I was thinking weldon-4 or 16 for the bubbles before the Weld-on 40. However I don't "need" to do that step. It might just help resell down the road.

View attachment 1541897

View attachment 1541898

View attachment 1541899
Looks like a good candidate for some refurb i agree. Sounds like ur right on track also. I usually always start with #4 solvent to try and rebond any of those white areas. Its 50/50 tho. Some areas take it in, others dont. You can do square rod on the inside with solvent also if ur good with it. Myself, i prefer #40 to tip and pour fillets on the the inner seams. It does heat up alot tho and can cause crazing. Bit of give and take for adding maximum strength and seal, but losing a bit on the “cosmetic” end. #16 is not my favorite product to use. Its the weakest glue in the lineup. You can do square rod with #16 to reinforce it a bit. Sometimes it works well, other times it does not. Its very brittle and can pull away over time IME. Solvent is alot stronger than #16 but its harder to “get right”…. #40 is pretty user friendly and the strongest option but comes with crazing and bad fumes. Best used in a well ventilated area or outdoors. All depends what u want to do. Personally i love #40. Everything has its down sides tho.

onsloth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2024
Looks like a good candidate for some refurb i agree. Sounds like ur right on track also. I usually always start with #4 solvent to try and rebond any of those white areas. Its 50/50 tho. Some areas take it in, others dont. You can do square rod on the inside with solvent also if ur good with it. Myself, i prefer #40 to tip and pour fillets on the the inner seams. It does heat up alot tho and can cause crazing. Bit of give and take for adding maximum strength and seal, but losing a bit on the “cosmetic” end. #16 is not my favorite product to use. Its the weakest glue in the lineup. You can do square rod with #16 to reinforce it a bit. Sometimes it works well, other times it does not. Its very brittle and can pull away over time IME. Solvent is alot stronger than #16 but its harder to “get right”…. #40 is pretty user friendly and the strongest option but comes with crazing and bad fumes. Best used in a well ventilated area or outdoors. All depends what u want to do. Personally i love #40. Everything has its down sides tho.
Thank you so much.
Can I ask...what do you mean by fillets?
Tip and pour? You mean 45 degree angle?

Reactions: wednesday13

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I've never done this also. I wouldn't wanna ruin the seal either.
I don’t know anything about fixing tanks, acrylic or glass. But I did buy a used acrylic 180 with this same issue and I knew someone that could fix it. I’m not sure which Weldon he used but he injected it with a medical syringe into the bubbling areas and it held up great and my friend I sold it to still has it up and running 3 years later

Reactions: Jexnell and AR1

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thank you so much.
Can I ask...what do you mean by fillets?
Tip and pour? You mean 45 degree angle?
Yes, you can reinforce any inner seam with #40 tipping the tank at 45 degree angles and pouring out a fillet/bevel of glue 3/8-1/2” thick across the seam. Its a syrup consistency and self levels.

Reactions: onsloth

Lepisosteus

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Tip and pour #40 or 42 works the best for these jobs. I’ve found injecting #4/3 into these spots doesn’t do much for strength but makes the seam look better. The strength comes from the #40 or the acrylic rods at this point

onsloth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2024
Yes, you can reinforce any inner seam with #40 tipping the tank at 45 degree angles and pouring out a fillet/bevel of glue 3/8-1/2” thick across the seam. Its a syrup consistency and self levels.
On some these spots I was wondering if I should do on the outside or in side or both.
As you can see in this picture, this is the top above the tank.

IMG_20240517_194528283.jpg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
On some these spots I was wondering if I should do on the outside or in side or both.
As you can see in this picture, this is the top above the tank.

View attachment 1542546
You can tip and pour #40 up under the inside there. Just have to flip the tank over.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store