USED XP3

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
my lfs has several used cans for sale , the good news is they are all running and have full media, the bad news is they are all running on a tank that is stocked with pleco's and goldfish... I am paranoid about introducing parasites into my aquariums ... what do you guys think, buy and use as is ... buy and sterilize( I am not sure the savings involved warrants this ,xp3 $65 ).. or just avoid these filters ....:popcorn: thanks for your responses

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
If its running well, $65 is a pretty good deal. If you buy it, you should definitely sterilize it & get all new media. I would run it on an empty aquarium with bleach in the water for 24 hours.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
If its running well, $65 is a pretty good deal. If you buy it, you should definitely sterilize it & get all new media. I would run it on an empty aquarium with bleach in the water for 24 hours.
that's kind of what I WAS thinking... but I think what makes it a good deal is the included cycled media,, I CAN GET A NEW XP3 FOR $105 ON AMAZON,,so unless the consensus is that the media is usable I am leaning towards not doing it,,, I DON'T mind the work of boiling the media ,, but will that make it 100% safe ...IDK:popcorn:

ziggy2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
IL
Sure, boiling would do the trick, but if you don't mind spending the extra 40.00 bucks, I think it's worth it. You will have a brand new filter, a very short warranty, and you will know how the filter is being used.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Sure, boiling would do the trick, but if you don't mind spending the extra 40.00 bucks, I think it's worth it. You will have a brand new filter, a very short warranty, and you will know how the filter is being used.
THIS is kinda my thinking ... and I DON'T really need filtration at the moment, just the price tag on a running xp3 was interesting,,,,, I WAS THINKING about a little more mechanical filtration on a 75 that already has an ac110 and a pen 350 AND A SPONGE FILTER on a p.h.... I think I CAN SURVIVE WITH THE SETUP I have now ',:popcorn:with some media adjusting

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
My feeling is..why bother with someone else's problem when for $40 more you can get a new WARRANTIED one

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
My feeling is..why bother with someone else's problem when for $40 more you can get a new WARRANTIED one
Thats where I LANDED....... ended up using my trade in stuff(lava rock..Driftwood) and just picked up a sponge filter powerhead combo. $22. ..gonna spend my money on a replacement for a beater tank or some different lighting maybe( I have Six tanks).....gonna stick with hob's and sponge filter combos, it's hard to break that kind of filtration

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store