Using Home Grow Lights?

Ajxackt

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2015
I am trying to upgrade my t8 fixture on my 75gal to a t5 so I can grow plants that need a brighter light. As is, Cabomba isn't even surviving in the bottom of the tank.
I want something inexpensive, but versatile enough to use different kinds of lights on. Have any of you used Home grow lights you can buy at places like Home Depot and Lowes? I have seen several t5 fixtures for half the price of ones marketed for aquatic on Home Depot's website.

rooto56

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
usa
I am trying to upgrade my t8 fixture on my 75gal to a t5 so I can grow plants that need a brighter light. As is, Cabomba isn't even surviving in the bottom of the tank.
I want something inexpensive, but versatile enough to use different kinds of lights on. Have any of you used Home grow lights you can buy at places like Home Depot and Lowes? I have seen several t5 fixtures for half the price of ones marketed for aquatic on Home Depot's website.
Go for Agrobrite fixtures. They're pretty cheap on amazon.com for how good the reflectors are on them (which is really what you want with fluorescent lighting)

If the reflector on a t5 fixture sucks or isn't there, no amount of T5 bulbs is gonna get you the intensity you need to grow light-demanding plants. Most fixtures from Home depot don't include reflectors.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I would check ebay... Here's one I found for $90 w/ free shipping - http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-T5-Aquar...236490?hash=item3ac12fc50a:g:hoAAAOSw-RRXCHSL

It comes with 6500k bulbs, here's the wavelengths that a 6500K T5HO bulb puts out...

Now I would go with the following bulbs from front to back...

6500k bulb
420nm actinic bulb
12,000k Bright white 440nm actinic bulb
WavePoint ultra growth wave bulb

Now I'll show you the wavelengths each bulbs has, and why I recommended these bulbs...

12,000k 440nm actinic white bulb bulb

420nm actinic

WavePoint ultra growth wave bulb

Now here's why I recommended these bulbs; live plants have 2 chlorophyll stages and each stage peaks at different wavelengths, chlorophyll A & chlorophyll B.

So for healthy plant life in a planted tank you want to target the chlorophyll peaks!!!

Now, because the light fixture has a digital timer you want the following lighting schedule for the tank...

8am 2 Front bulbs turn on
10am rear 2 bulbs turn on
2pm 2 front bulbs shut off
5pm 2 rear bulbs shut off

Now what this lighting schedule does is gives you "morning" light, then a 4 hour burst of light for high noon light, and then "evening" light...

So by wanting more light intense lighting on the tank you'll need a co2 source like a do it yourself co2 system using bakers yeast, or an automated co2 system, or a liquid carbon supplement like Flourish Excel. Also with better lighting you'll need to dose fertilizers to the tank so the plants have a steady source of nutrients to feed, for me I using dry fertilizers because it's cheaper and gives you the ability to target any deficiencies that may arise... But for beginners I always recommend Flourish Comprehensive to start with until you learn the ropes of aquarium fertilizers...

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I'm selling a t5ho light from aquatic life. It's a 4x54 watt four foot fixture. I'll sell for dirt cheap. Let me know.

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
I'm selling a t5ho light from aquatic life. It's a 4x54 watt four foot fixture. I'll sell for dirt cheap. Let me know.
If he doesn't take you up on it can you message me what you want for it? Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store