Using Kanamycin powder

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I almost put an Oscar or two on my list... then changed my mind. I thought that would be pushing it with fish still in the tank only an inch long. But part of me thinks that part of the key to nipping the columnairis will be to let all the real small ones die off anyway. And if that doesn't happen, the possibility of the chocolates eating them is probably pretty realistic once they start getting big.

So I have pretty much caved to the likelihood of this being a big fish tank soon or later, in which case I can get a couple of all these more agressive ones.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Its hard to tell from your pics quite what it is. I would go with that recipe you posted OR you could mix the kana in just enough water to soak pellets, and then let them dry. That's how I administer any liquid meds I use, just enough to soak the pellet, then let it dry completely. It's going to be a PITA but hey the things we do for our fish right? lol. Keep updating this, I'd like to know how the treatment works.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Absolutely. Any idea how long before I start seeing results? I would expect several weeks, just based on the facts that a lot of these legions are so old in the first place.

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
I can't quite be sure from the pictures, but if these Rainbows have lesions that last for weeks and months and no antibiotic cures it - then it's most likely Myco which is very common with Rainbows as is Columnaris. The pics do look like Columnaris, however. I've cured Rainbows with Columnaris with Kanamycin for 10 days in the water. Some had the cotton mouth version, others had the 'saddleback' version of it. There are multiple strains and some are more virulent than others. I've also cured it early enough with strong salt dips. Sadly, Rainbows seem very susceptible to both Myco and Columnaris/Flavobacteria.

Myco, I could never cure even though the fish would live with the lesions for a very long time. I've tried may antibiotics with Myco and could never figure it out.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
its interesting that you would say that because that is exactly what I have noticed going on... the rainbow fish seem to get it first and the most. The live breeders in the tank, Mollies and Platies are pretty susceptible too. Other fish seem completely immune.

Here are some other fish based observations I had:

Silver dollars- these things seem the most resistant and long lived of all the fish I had in the tank so far. I have had the same 14 since I started the tank 6 years ago and they had no issues getting through tank wide Ich and Columnaris issues. In fact.. other than maybe once or twice I saw a single Ich dot on one of them when I had an outbreak, they have been completely immune to everything as far as I can tell.

Clown loaches- these too I have had since the start of the tank- 6 years- I don't recall ever seeing disease on them, which is weird because everything I read about them says they're very susceptible. I have had a little bit a attrition over the years though but never know what kills them. The fact that its sometimes weeks before I see an individual doesn't help keeping track of things.

Yoyo loaches- only had them for about a year and a half.. but so far no attrition at all or signs of disease. They're also much more active than my clowns and they grow much faster too.

Weather/Dojo loaches- these guys are weird.. I never saw disease on them but they seem to kill themselves off eventually by over eating. These are the only fish I have seen doing this.. they get fatter and fatter until they almost look like a wooden dowels and once they get to that point I'll find them floating dead in the next month or so. Over all they last around 1.5 years

Emerald Green Corys-- These too I have had since the start of the tank.. 6 years ago- never saw disease on them.

Red eye tetras and Red Minor Serpae's- they seem to slowly die off with in a year though I never see disease on them.

Neon Tetras- I have tried getting a couple batches of these guys... they never seem to last more than a couple months before they're all gone. Never saw disease on them though.

Glowlight tetras- almost exactly like a Neon tetra but they have a coppery stripe instead of blue-- same size fish even.. these guys last forever and I have the same original school for about 3 years. This is how I know that nothing is eating the Neons unless something just has a taste for blue fish.

X-ray Pristella tetras- these guys too seem to last forever- no disease- also same school around 3 years old

Gold Barbs-- these guys seem pretty resistant.. had same school for around 3 years too.. but I have seen some die from disease, but very little

Green tiger barbs-- these don't last very long- and are only fish that I have seen consistently die from whirling disease. I had a school of 40 of them that was around a year old and there is about 6-7 left.

Giant danios- about average- seen some disease on them but generally get a couple years out of them.

Blue/Flame Dwarf/Opaline Gouramis- seem pretty susceptible- I get a couple years max out of them.. the Opalines last the longest.

Pink Kissing Gourami-- tough bastards- had the same 4 for 6 years.. no signs of disease.

Swordtails- susceptible- never got a year out of them

Bettas- susceptible- last about a year or less

Comet goldfish- have had the same two for 6 years- were used to the cycle the tank twice- never any visible disease-- been kept in their own tank for most of the time though- but pretty sure they would survive disease in the main tank if I kept them there.. removed because they were eating smaller fish

Pearsei cichlids- only have 2- just got in May last year- grew from 1.5 inches to about a foot- see a little what I presume is Columnaris on them.

Chocolate cichlids- only got 3 for about 4 months- they went from 1.5 to about 4-5 inches today- so far no signs of disease

These are all generalities though. There always seems to be a small percentage of the population that is resistant and lives a normal life span. I had a few Boseamani rainbows last around 4 years.. they got huge too.. like about 7-8 inches. Same for some giant danios… though only about 6-7 inches.

Needless to say, I stop getting any more of the susceptible ones and stick with the resistant ones.. though that might change if I manage to get this Columaris under control.

I'm feeding a lot less now also which should help.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
When you say Myco, do you mean Whirling Disease (Myxosoma cerebralis)? I think my tank has that too. I have only seen Tiger barbs die from the actual spinning around thing... but I have a rainbow fish that is basically paralyzed halfway down its body. I suspect its from this. Its been this way for a long time though, almost a year. It seems okay otherwise... just has to flop around exaggeratedly to get anywhere.

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
When you say Myco, do you mean Whirling Disease (Myxosoma cerebralis)? I think my tank has that too. I have only seen Tiger barbs die from the actual spinning around thing... but I have a rainbow fish that is basically paralyzed halfway down its body. I suspect its from this. Its been this way for a long time though, almost a year. It seems okay otherwise... just has to flop around exaggeratedly to get anywhere.
Mycobacteriosis. Fish Handler's Disease. Very common and often overlooked.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Crap, I hope not.. though some of the symptoms do match. No cure either, just swell. I guess I'll ride this out and if the medicated food never starts to help I'll assume it is this.

If it is this, any way to salvage any fish or do they all have to be euthinized along with the tank disinfecting?

either way, I'll never get any rainbow fish or live bearers any more.

NVM-- found my own answers-- Guess I'll start trapping infected fish to remove them to hopefully speed this process up. I did some reading and contrary to the article here on MFK.. others say that antibiotic treatment is possible and that this exists in most tank like Ich.. so healthy fish can fight it off. This gives me hope on salvaging most of my fish.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Mycobacteriosis. Fish Handler's Disease. Very common and often overlooked.
BTW-- great deduction. The more I think about it.. based on the long times its taking for symptom to manifest its looking more and more like this might be the culprit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store