Using pool filter sand for the first time and it's gray?

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
^They always have the long handle dustpans at the 99 cent store and those are the ones I always use in my tank to get the old sand out.

altumz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
earf
^you are doing it wrong if you're using a dustpan to take out the sand. bring in your garden hose...use that to suck out the sand. it doesnt disturb your tank and you can take it out all in 1-2 water change. its pretty much just like a waterchange except you're sucking out the sands aswell.

if your garden hose isnt long enough. get a tube size of a garden hose u can get it at home depot for cheap. bring it in and get a big bin or plastic trash can to put the water and sand in it. easy and clean no mess whatsoever

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
Doesn't the sand get stuck in the hose? And if your garden hose is pretty long, it's tough to start a siphon. You could buy vinyl hose from home depot but that's gonna cost you at least $15 I'd guess for a good length to run to your lawn. I just use a broom and pan and cost me $2 and it's quick too.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I dunno, it was easy sucking out small silica sand out a hose, but pfs is much heavier. it's doesn't siphon up when cleaning it.
but I can try harder the way you said, or diff hose.

altumz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
earf
broom may be quick aswell. but it kicks up the sand and it makes ur tank messy. the hose method in my opinion is the easiest and cleanest way. u can either give the hose a suck or turn on the water garden and quickly turn it off and unplug the hose and it will start a suction. the bigger the hose the faster and stronger the suction will be. i have done this method with regular gravel aswell and it works perfect and saves u the mess. sand is sand. pfs may be a bit heavier but it will suck out with no problem. just make sure u have a strong suction. if you bring in ur garden hose. submerse the garden hose in ur tank (tell someone to hold it for u) turn it on full blast for like 5 seconds. turn it off and quickly unscrew the garden hose from the pipe. and that will create a powerful suction. sand wont get stuck in the hose. unless ur using a tiny hose which will have a weak suction.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
broom may be quick aswell. but it kicks up the sand and it makes ur tank messy. the hose method in my opinion is the easiest and cleanest way. u can either give the hose a suck or turn on the water garden and quickly turn it off and unplug the hose and it will start a suction. the bigger the hose the faster and stronger the suction will be. i have done this method with regular gravel aswell and it works perfect and saves u the mess. sand is sand. pfs may be a bit heavier but it will suck out with no problem. just make sure u have a strong suction. if you bring in ur garden hose. submerse the garden hose in ur tank (tell someone to hold it for u) turn it on full blast for like 5 seconds. turn it off and quickly unscrew the garden hose from the pipe. and that will create a powerful suction.
sounds worth trying!

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store