Using wild driftwood in aquarium

Aalok bairwa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2023
India
I am using wild driftwood in my aquarium because store driftwood seem a bit costly for me , it's now around 2 months of the aquarium setup and the wood is getting these pinkish purple spots , is it ok or should I remove wood

And wanted to know do uarus eat driftwood as I always saw them biting it

IMG_20231010_193934.jpg

IMG_20231010_193915.jpg

IMG_20231010_195728.jpg

IMG_20231010_195758.jpg

Reactions: Midwater

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I have had driftwood due all sorts of worrying things, but it has never amounted to anything I would call a real issue.

Store bought driftwood is not some special extra clean variety btw. Just as likely to have problems with it as any other source of wood.

Fish pecking at it is normal. The only thing that will really eat it to nothing are certain plecos.

Aalok bairwa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2023
India
I have had driftwood due all sorts of worrying things, but it has never amounted to anything I would call a real issue.

Store bought driftwood is not some special extra clean variety btw. Just as likely to have problems with it as any other source of wood.

Fish pecking at it is normal. The only thing that will really eat it to nothing are certain plecos.
Yeah I,ve got a common pleco in my tank I always found it doing different types of yoga poses 😂😂like upside down and stuck it's mouth to the wood and stay still , i will post photo when I found it .

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
"Wild" driftwood? Is that the opposite of "domestic" driftwood, which is grown in rows in greenhouses and raised in completely organic sterile bliss on driftwood farms? :ROFL:

Driftwood is all "wild". Doesn't matter whether you pick it up for free at the beach or on the ground...although the latter is not really "driftwood"...or someone else does it for you and then you pay for that person's time/labour, plus the cost of shipping, plus the profit for the several middlemen between you and the original collector.

I'm sure that claims are made that the stuff you buy has undergone all kinds of treatments and cleanings and disinfections. Maybe some of that is even true...who knows? Personally, I don't put much stock in those claims...but I do occasionally wonder about the places the driftwood has been stored and the chemicals/poisons/pesticides it might have been exposed to in this warehouse or on that skid down at the loading dock or...well, you get the picture.

That pink/purple colour just seems to show up sometimes; can't tell why or what causes it. Never had a problem with it.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
"Wild" driftwood? Is that the opposite of "domestic" driftwood, which is grown in rows in greenhouses and raised in completely organic sterile bliss on driftwood farms? :ROFL:

Driftwood is all "wild". Doesn't matter whether you pick it up for free at the beach or on the ground...although the latter is not really "driftwood"...or someone else does it for you and then you pay for that person's time/labour, plus the cost of shipping, plus the profit for the several middlemen between you and the original collector.

I'm sure that claims are made that the stuff you buy has undergone all kinds of treatments and cleanings and disinfections. Maybe some of that is even true...who knows? Personally, I don't put much stock in those claims...but I do occasionally wonder about the places the driftwood has been stored and the chemicals/poisons/pesticides it might have been exposed to in this warehouse or on that skid down at the loading dock or...well, you get the picture.

That pink/purple colour just seems to show up sometimes; can't tell why or what causes it. Never had a problem with it.
There is no wild/domestic driftwood, but I buy it because I don’t know which woods are safe or not and don’t know much about how to identify those that are not safe

Aalok bairwa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2023
India

[/QUO

I collected it from roadside near a garden and it was very old also , I used it in my tank as don't have budget for store driftwood as here in India it cost me 10-15 dollar per kg , ( in that price I can get a small silver arowana too 😎 ,, let me know how much it cost in your countries) , and i think both driftwood the one that I collected and store one's both do the same thing that is low down ph and release tannins.

Btw I treated my wood completely before adding like treated it with hydrocarbon peroxide and then boil it and dry it and one more time boil it and let it water logged for month before adding to the aquarium, let me know that I do the right thing to clean and treat the collected wood

Reactions: Cal Amari
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store