UV STERILizers -- Tell me all about em

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Yes, a 36W would work if he has a flow rate of about 1,000 gph. His Laguna 2400 has too high a flow rate. He would need more wattage at a flow rate of 2400 gph.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
IS it or is it not all about contact time with the UV bulb? Slow flow = longer contact, BUT higher flow happens more often. Does this not end up with similar contact time to the UV?

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
IS it or is it not all about contact time with the UV bulb? Slow flow = longer contact, BUT higher flow happens more often. Does this not end up with similar contact time to the UV?
Slower flow= more contact time to kill parasites. Once you exceed the flow rating given by the manufacturer the UV will be less effective. Think of it like exposure to radiation- real quick exposure is not going to hurt you- X-rays. But long exposure will kill you. It's that simple

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Here's my suggestion on picking the right UV for your need.

Select a UV to fit your current system. Not design a system around a UV. Cost creeps when changing pump and adding filter for the UV.

Select a UV design that is reliable. O-ring/seal usually is the thing that fails causing damage to the unit electrical and bulb.

Consider the type of bulb the unit uses. 4 pin lamps are the most current design. There are High Output and standard lamps. 2 pin lamps require access to both ends of the unit when changing bulb which is tough under a stand. Also consider that there is two o-rings (one on each end).

Flow rate should not go below one time the total water volume per hour. UV works only if you get the pathogen/algae into the chamber.

Last but not least, make sure the UV dosage is correct. You need 50mJ/cm^2 for level 2. Many factors affect dosage like: Quartz sleeve quality (RI), %transmittance (turbidity), lamp length, reactor length and diameter.
Each UV is different and has different outputs. You just got to mix and match to get the dosage you desire. So in short, a 15W Aquaultraviolet may put out the same dosage as a 36W Turbo or two 58W HO may have a higher dosage than a 4 bulb 160W.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
As part of a tank purchase I received a Lifeguard UV sterilizer QL-40. I planned on using it since I have it. It's a 450 gallon fresh water tank. I looked up flow rate and 1500 max GPH. The pump I was planning on using is some where around half of that. Any advice or comments you can give?

Thanks, John

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
As part of a tank purchase I received a Lifeguard UV sterilizer QL-40. I planned on using it since I have it. It's a 450 gallon fresh water tank. I looked up flow rate and 1500 max GPH. The pump I was planning on using is some where around half of that. Any advice or comments you can give?

Thanks, John

1500 gph max is so you don't blow the seals. Unit is designed to be installed in the vertical so make sure you have room to pull the lamp. Based on dosage calculations I've done on other 40W brands, the QL-40 will make a good clarifier for your setup.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
1500 gph max is so you don't blow the seals. Unit is designed to be installed in the vertical so make sure you have room to pull the lamp. Based on dosage calculations I've done on other 40W brands, the QL-40 will make a good clarifier for your setup.
Thank you, I was going to use it anyway. But it's nice to hear from someone that knows that it will actually do some good.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Thank you, I was going to use it anyway. But it's nice to hear from someone that knows that it will actually do some good.

Anytime.

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
Hey Ken, I tried to contact you via the forums messaging system but you never got it or the new boards ate the message. I wanted to talk about getting a UV through your company I guess it was, but since I never heard back went with the TMC product. I purchased a a TMC v2 Vecton 600 and attached it to an XP3 filter. It has about 5 foot of head line(is that the right phrase?) to go from the UV to the output in the tank (125gallon). It's supposed to be a high dwell/contact time I believe I was attempting to get stage 2 sterilization with the setup... with this description, do you think that is a possible goal? Or should I shop for a specific pump for this sterilizer? Thanks.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Hey Ken, I tried to contact you via the forums messaging system but you never got it or the new boards ate the message. I wanted to talk about getting a UV through your company I guess it was, but since I never heard back went with the TMC product. I purchased a a TMC v2 Vecton 600 and attached it to an XP3 filter. It has about 5 foot of head line(is that the right phrase?) to go from the UV to the output in the tank (125gallon). It's supposed to be a high dwell/contact time I believe I was attempting to get stage 2 sterilization with the setup... with this description, do you think that is a possible goal? Or should I shop for a specific pump for this sterilizer? Thanks.
Strange...never got your message. I do not have a company. I just do engineering for UV designs and filters.
Your TMC is a 25W unit. I do not have the dimensions of this UV so I can't tell you anything about dosage without running the calc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store