Uvb Bulb Information

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
How high about the turtles shell should this Uvb Bulb hang? Made a thread about this With uvb Bulbs Ib general now im doing it With this specific model. Its a russian tortoise.

DSC_0996.JPG

DSC_1000.JPG

DSC_0998.JPG

DSC_0999.JPG

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
The coil bulbs are junk dont even bother with them. I prefer mercury vapor bulbs myself since they put out heat and uvb.

To answer your question i would go a foot or 30 centimeters above the basking spot.
I know these dont put out heat, have another bulb for that. Why are these junk? 30cm is not so low that the UVB will damage the turtles eyes, and not so high it wont get the UVB?

big54bob

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2008
Amish Country
I know these dont put out heat, have another bulb for that. Why are these junk? 30cm is not so low that the UVB will damage the turtles eyes, and not so high it wont get the UVB?
The coil bulbs put out so much uvb in a concetrated spot that they can cause damage to the eyes of reptiles. The tube uvb bulbs spreads out the uvb enough so reptiles can get enough uvb without causing damage.

And the 30 cm height is so your turtle gets most out of the uvb bulb

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
The coil bulbs put out so much uvb in a concetrated spot that they can cause damage to the eyes of reptiles. The tube uvb bulbs spreads out the uvb enough so reptiles can get enough uvb without causing damage.

And the 30 cm height is so your turtle gets most out of the uvb bulb
Ok, at 30cm it wont damage the russian toirtoises eyes?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store