]V[ONSTER Central American Community Tanks Discussion

ccebr

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
England
Here was my 150 gallon guapote community

DSC_0011edit.jpg

Other than some territorial scraps, it worked well for over a year.

All the fish were over the foot mark.

The P. motaguense pair were very aggressive as time went on.

The P. dovii female laid eggs once a month and became very aggressive at this time, but other than that a very placid fish.

The P. managuense were both male and very peaceful, even though the larger male (bottom right) was regularly challenged by the P. motaguense male.

Eventually I sold all the fish but the P. dovii and gave her a mate where several broods were successfully raised and sold on.

I do miss this set up very much and would love to have the fish back, however for it to have worked for 2 years or more I definately would have needed at least an 8x3x2 as the fish grew and their territorial-ness increased.

I cannot comment on if this set up would ever work again but I would someday like to give it another go!

DSC_0011edit.jpg

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Its interesting how clearly the hierarchy is established in my CA community.
Also interesting how chaotic a tank can be if there isn't one. I've realized my BB is fine with any smaller fish, he completely ignores them. So I will be restocking my 225 to revolve around him and small groups of CAs to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I don't think he has grown a whole lot. I don't really expect him to in the future either. Maybe another inch or two for the rest of his life. Who knows what kind of conditions he was exposed to and how they affected him.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store