VATF growth thread

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
They are going into a 18 ft x 9ft swimming pool next month. I got my first Tigerfish from Vince's in the San Gabriel Valley (S. Cali) off Valley blvd x San Gabriel blvd in the mid 80's. Saved for almost a year before I could afford it(was in Jr. High then). They had 3 for sale, the smallest one was going for $750 and the other two were $950 and $1500. By the time I was ready for the small one... they had sold him a week earlier. Luckily my mom was willing to pay the difference so I was able to buy the next size up. The tigerfish(8 inches) survived for about 2 months before my Mala decided to taste test him. Costly mistake back then. My next ATF was brought when I was 19. That one lasted over 3 years. Grew him out from 2 inches to over 2ft in an 800 gallon tank mostly off live feeders and fresh salmon fillets. I had to move and lost him while moving. Hopefully this batch will make it to maturity.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
This is a really encouraging thing to see! :thumbsup:
Thanks Chicxulub! You took the ATF game to a different level.

That's a great set up. It doesn't seem like there's much ripped fins or gashes. There must be a minimum number to control the aggression. When I had 5 it was not enough. The Alpha would still pick on the lower two. Maybe at least 6 would be a good pack to keep. I didn't have enough dithers too. Since my tank is only 650 it seems it's still too small for long term.
Thanks sashimimaster! Maybe keeping them in tanks where the atf's are not the alpha species helped. I had a 26 inch MBU (recently passed and measured) and the FRT is kind of the Master of the tank.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
8/11/14 video is for comparison... My, have they grown!! Big difference in size in a little over 3 months. Will try and post a recent video for comparison today:naughty:

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
What are you feeding them? Off live?
They eat everything I throw at them! Clams, shrimp, squid, fish fillets and massivore. Once in a great while, I will throw in some feeders. They seem to love squid the most. Can't wait till they are able to eat a whole piece of squid(loaded with massivore).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store