Vermiponics - Fish, Plants, and Worms

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Well, I hope to do some cherry tomato vines along with peppers and possibly carrots and lettuce. Currently I have my prototype up and running with philodendron.

My wife loves goldfish so I am using 7 comets to get the aquarium up and going. I plan to try to keep a KKP along with a Herichthys Carpintis. If the goldfish survive great, if not... I'm not sure what to add to keep my bio load up enough for the system. I am open to suggestions for tank mates.

Oh, a few notes. First, in the videos I do not have the last part of the bell siphon shown or mentioned. the media in the grow bed will be siphoned out if you do not have a larger pipe as a shield. I'll try to link pictures of what i am talking about later. If you plan on using Hydroton as a media make sure to rinse it well before putting it in your bed. Also, try to soak it for awhile as it will float when first added.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Rivermud, maybe I missed it. But is there really a big difference in having for what your doing, drain and fill, vs mine which is always full? I know you mentioned oxygen, but if it really THAT big of a difference?

Does this system eliminate the need for filter floss/sponge or any other mechanical filtration?

What about matter (poo if you will). Assuming your answer to ^^ is yes, are you worried about sludge blocking the drain, limiting drainage?

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Actually that is a very good question. The worms feed on the decaying matter.. ie poo. Thus for me personally I do not use any sort of filter media on the pump.

In a continuous flow system you must pre-filter, the bio filtration provided by the media is greatly reduced as the only oxygen it gets is DO. In a fill and drain the bio filtration is greatly increased because of the constant re-addition of oxygen to the media as well as the roots of the plants. Adding worms to the mix prevents compaction and cleans decaying matter from the bed helping to maintain a clean flow.

I don't claim to be a master of this nor am I even close. I am just going by the research and what i know to be true about bio filtration.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
This is a quote from some of the more experienced people at backyardaquaponics.

The Advantages of flood and drain media filled grow beds are multiple and all in a package.
They act as solids filters
They act as bio-filters
They provide plant space with support for large plants.
They provide space for composting worms to help deal with the solids making more nutrients for plants
They do all these things without any added aeration or separate bio or solids filtration devices.

Constantly flooded media beds may need extra aeration or be more prone to root rot problems with the plants if not careful. If the aeration is not good enough, the bacteria my have trouble keeping up with a heavily stocked system and there could also be problems with solids clogging things up. Aeration becomes very important for a constantly flooded system.
With that knowledge in hand I am going to use a Geyser Lift. It basically an airlift with a much better design allowing for great lift and flow. This will allow me to actually push solids up to the bed for my composting worms. there are many benefits to this as well. First in the event of a power outage air pumps are a lot easier to power with a backup battery supply. Second I save money on power. Third I can adjust the flow easily by limiting the air supplied. All big bonuses in my book.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Here is a video of the prototype filled with media and philodendrons. The video was made to show how the grow bed works as a bio filter. You can see the massive ammount of media I have that is growing wonderful bacteria for me. I dare a trickle filter on a sump to out-do this. to be honest, if your sump were far enough below your aquarium you could use a grow bed as your trickle filter and really improve your filtration. Just a thought...

[video=youtube;v2hx589qLTg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2hx589qLTg[/video]

Anyway, a question for all of you who run continuous flow systems without some other bio filtration added to the system.. Are you're nitrite readings staying around .25 maybe .40?

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
This is cool.
I want to set up a 75G for Discus next year, and I am definitely considering this type of filtration.
I think it would work awesome, as the discus like slow moving water, and this system isn't constantly pumping fast moving water in. And the fact that I could grow tomato's or greens is awesome. I could use the greens to feed my tortoise and myself. As well as the worms for the fish and other reptiles.

All very intriguing, Will definitely follow this thread closely.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Just so you know... when the siphon hits... it dumpa a lot of water very very fast. 1 inch pipe can flow are very serious volume of water under siphon. That said though, you can easily route the water as needed with multiple return outlets. this system would probably work well with discus since it naturally wants to maintain a lower ph desirable for them.

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
Could make dual spray bars even, or one long one that runs the entire back length of the tank.
Might lessen the force that the water comes out?

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Well, I hope to do some cherry tomato vines along with peppers and possibly carrots and lettuce.

Are you familiar with these plants? I don't think any would work except the lettuce. Peppers and tomatoes need a depth of atleast 12 inches and that is still on the shallow side. Plus peppers grow to a height of 2-3 foot average whereas the cherry tomatoes could get up to 7 feet. Lettuce are shallow rooted so I think they can work. A depth of 6 inches is fine. Carrots need space too but if you get a small variety like romeo or petite and sweet you can get away with like 6 inches depth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store