Vertical Zitty Salvini Swim... What is going on?

Batboi3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
Huron, SD
In my tank are a couple male salvini that I have had for a little over two years. Both have been acting rather goofy, the one in particular. Both have not been eating, that I have observed, and the bigger of the two has been chilling in a corner with his nose pointing straight down, like a vertical swim. I have also been noticing these white zit pimple looking things on the bigger one's tail. I had a Texas/Carpintis that had these bumps too and eventually he died. Don't know if that is what killed him but I'm sure it didn't help his efforts. I believe I had tried using some parasite or fungus treatment on the bumps a while ago but it didn't seem to solve it. Till now the fish's behavior has never really seemed odd. He's had the zit things for close to a year at least. I recently did a water change on Saturday afternoon and redid the aqua scape a bit and since then these two salvini have more less been like this. Any thoughts?

I have attached a picture of the big zitty salvini. I took this photo about a month ago, but now I know it isn't good for the fish to be laid on towels & tape like this so I have learned that lesson. If you can see the area on his tail there's a bit of white blotchy bubble looking things, but then some more defined little spots that look like white head zits, especially so in the tank. Thanks for the input.

IMG_4344.JPG

IMG_4344.JPG

Fishaholicc

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2011
LOS ANGELES
I think bloat may caused your fish acting wired. I would seperate the fish and medicate him but then again it may be too late to save him.

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH

Batboi3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
Huron, SD
I think bloat may caused your fish acting wired. I would seperate the fish and medicate him but then again it may be too late to save him.
I don't know if it is bloat. He is a thick bodied fish, but I wouldn't think it is bloat.

Is that your salvini? He's huge
Yes, it is my fish. Thanks! He is a beast. I posted it to give a visual of his tail and the spots I'm talking about.

Batboi3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
Huron, SD
Could we see an in tank shot?
I'll see what I can do. Might be a day or two to take a video or pic and get it up. Gotta busy day of work today. This morning he looked a little better and was sitting normally. Any thoughts based on what you can see?

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
I have no idea what it is, I just want to say that your Sal is a chunky dude. Hope someone can help you figure it out.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Sounds like bloat. I lost my male recently and he was doingthe same thing. Yours has a swollen belly like mine did :(

Batboi3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
Huron, SD
Sounds like bloat. I lost my male recently and he was doingthe same thing. Yours has a swollen belly like mine did :(
Anyway to treat bloat? I don't know much about it. Some of my other cichlids have these little tiny bumps on their fins too though, and they look normal body shape wise... not for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store