Very sad news!!!

Freshwaterfishlover

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2019
Some how my ammonia spiked overnight and killed all 3 of my Stingrays. 1 Marble Motoro Hybrid, 1 Motoro and 1 Black Diamond. Also my Catfish is not looking so good. My 2 Gars seem to still be doing great. The Motoro I had for over 1 year and a half. Any ideas what could case this?

8B5D0B1D-1647-4F14-9EDF-817727536C69.jpeg

59CC2A8D-0E8A-49E5-B0B5-CB6CE669B358.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
How big is the tank? What’s ur feeding schedule? See leftover food, are u removing after feeding? What’s ur filtration? What’s ur water change schedule?

Freshwaterfishlover

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2019
I had 3 Stingrays, 1 14” Tiger Shovelnose Catfish, 1 14” Florida Gar and 1 8” Longnose Gar.

Tank 180 Gallons. Had the tank for at least two years. The Motoro has been in the tank for over 1 year 7 Months.

feed 2 Frozen Blood Worm cubes twice a day. all food is always gone in 10 minutes.

change around 60 gallons of water once a week. Clean the filters every few months, but never on the same day. Always clean the filters with tank water.

Filters are canisters a Cascade 1500 350 GPH and a Cascade 1200 315 GPH.

clean the poop when ever I see it.

the fish were acting normal yesterday.

richyrich

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
uk
Sorry for your loss by the way
Also we’re they off feeding as there’s bloodworm left around them.

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
I am so sorry. Shocking to lose such amazing and valuable fish all at once. The ammonia could be a result of the dead fish starting to decay, so you can't assume that is the cause. Any sort of spray around the room? Bug spray, air fresheners? Perhaps a pH crash as Richyrich suggested? When was the last water change?

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Based on the uneaten food I would guess you had a smaller ammonia spike that unfortunately your filtration and rays were unable to handle. I believe this would also explain why the gars were able to survive considering how ancient they are, while the (scaleless) catfish wasn't looking as good. Like Red Cichlids said what you tested was probably much higher due to the decaying fish.

With 615gph on a 180 you only have 3.4x turnover, probably less after head loss. You should try to double or triple that number and increase water changes to 50%

Freshwaterfishlover

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2019
Based on the uneaten food I would guess you had a smaller ammonia spike that unfortunately your filtration and rays were unable to handle. I believe this would also explain why the gars were able to survive considering how ancient they are, while the (scaleless) catfish wasn't looking as good. Like Red Cichlids said what you tested was probably much higher due to the decaying fish.

With 615gph on a 180 you only have 3.4x turnover, probably less after head loss. You should try to double or triple that number and increase water changes to 50%
I normally do not have uneaten food. I have uneaten food in the picture because no one was going after the food because 3 of the Stingrays are dead. I added Prime to my Water and doing a water change today. My Catfish is doing more or less better now..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store