Vieja zonatus and regani

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have found most Vieja are non-agressive with smaller tank mates, but as soon as you put 2 non-mated adult, similar sized cichlids with Viejas, especially only 2, in a small tank (under 200+ gallons) there is a problem.
I had a 6-7" V regani in a 150 gal get very aggressive, so I gave it to a friend, who put it in his 225 gal, it killed a much larger 10" H. carpintus, then went to work on, and killed a very large (@12") Amphilophus labiatus.
I also had the same type situation with an argentea, it was very mild mannered until it hit about 7", first wiping out all other Viejas, then killed a managuense, and dovii.
The only time they generally work for me, is if the tank is in the 300 and up gallon range.
Because alone after killing all tankmates, the regani would spend all day hiding, my friend ate him.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Not a typo. He really got P.O.ed by that fish.
I usually don't eat them unless they get mortally beat up, or some sort of eye, or jaw thing makes them incapacitated.
If you go to some places in Central America, managuense is thought to be one of the most delicious of cichlids, and has been released in other places it is not endemic, because of its delicate taste.
Is this a typo?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
In general regani are supposed to be one of the more docile, duanes experience was one of those oddities. Mine does well with a bigger pearsei and smaller red bay snook and heterospilus in a 210g. It is pretty outgoing but a bit more toward the shy side that works well in my community but might not make a good solo wet pet.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I think if you're going to try a Vieja community, you should use more than just two fish. Problem is, you'll need a pretty big tank to keep a group 5-10 fish when they're full grown. I have a 125 gallon right now, I think it's not quite wide enough for full grown Vieja--18 inch wide. I think a 180 wide (72X24) would start getting you in the neighborhood. If the fish grow up together, and they're used to living in a semi-crowded tank, you MAY be able to keep them together in surprisingly close quarters when they're grown.

Members here have Vieja breeding in a community setting.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The way I understand it, a single Vieja needs a 75 minimum and a pair needs at least a 125 to themselves.
These species get Ginormous. Adult, fully grown male specimens will make a 75 gallon appear VERY small, ditto to a pair in a 125. Some of the minimum vales given on this site are just plain assinine. Maybe just stick a 16" fish in pail of water for life, it would probably survive that, too.

Its luck of the draw when it comes to aggression. All you can do is grow them out together and hope for the best. That comment about argentea being "mellow" , quite a few members here, who have/had these, will strongly disagree. But like I said, with any fish, it just luck of the draw and coming down to each individual fishs' personality/temperament

+1

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Mental note to self, never piss off Duane or his friend ..........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store