Vulture cat 6-pack, 14"-20", 2 year old, in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Viewer discretion advised, as always, when it comes to vultures...

The story of forced upgrade from 4500 gal to 25,000 gal is narrated at the beginning of the video. Most likely the growing TSN pair (over 2 feet now) has been bad at nights. Killed one female vulture, 24", couple weeks ago. I increased the TSN and Co feeding 2x-3x. The vultures still sustained bites to their fins and body, albeit less frequent. I reached a breaking point and rehomed them into the 25K. Vultures have not sharp spines in the fins, hence rubber lined 25K should be safe.

The 6 years old, 24 inch female TSNs killed. As you can see the remaining 4-pack of vultures hasn't disdained their just-passed schoolmate and partook of her tummy and tail too.

100_9703.JPG100_9702.JPG

Here is vulture dentition, that allows them to rip off chunks and strips, as opposed to most catfish who must swallow their feed / prey whole. It is not at all like the sharp teeth of goonch, African tigerfish, golden dorado, bowfin, snakehead, or marine sharks. They are the same sandpaper tooth patches but the patches form a narrow, sharp ridge on the top and bottom, which immensely increases the pressure at the same jaw muscle strength, and hence the holding power.

It's like wire cutters versus pliers.

Then vultures use their body to death roll and jerk, etc. to tear pieces off. Even with such equipment, as I had reported before, they rarely are able or motivated to start dismantling their just-passed tank mates from hard, taut, elastic muscle parts covered with tough skin. They prefer to start somewhere on the body where they can get a good grip, like the ventral, soft side of gills, the anus, and the softer ventral cavity / tummy... fins too but they are not as attractive to them as the guts and flesh...

100_9701.JPG100_9698.JPG100_9699.JPG100_9700.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Koltsixx reports a lone vulture attacks badly a male Trachycorystes trachycorystes (iron head catfish or black driftwood catfish). Could be an unprovoked attack, or territorial. Posts #46-#50.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The vultures were very stressed at first, because, as I figured later, I let the water get too hard and TDS too high in the 25K gradually (for the sake of the beluga sturgeon), TDS around 600-700 ppm, half of it hardness. So I gradually but quickly cut the TDS by 2x and the vultures got better (thank goodness the older dwellers didn't deteriorate). As I mentioned above, one suffered a bite from wels but recovered. They took a week or two to start feeding and have been doing quite well since. Our largest one, the female is ~blind (eyes are not transparent, has been like this for 3 years) and perhaps this is why it is obviously paler, whitish, mucus-ish, versus the other three and it bothered me and still does but she feeds and behaves fine. They chill here and there on the bottom the day hours, spreading out all barbels, which looks cute. Sometimes sit in the current. I believe they come most alive at nights but this is when we sleep haha... so I cannot be sure.

I don't cut herring for the 25K, so they quickly learned to take the 6"-8" herring whole or shake and tear into pieces themselves. They take NLS pellets too but fill up on herring.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Never heard of vulture catfish before but they seem very interesting. Great thread and video.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Eleven nightly meals served in the 25,000 gal / 100,000 liter. The vulture 4-pack continues doing well in their new spacious home.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The vulture quartet went to 25K gal almost a year ago. They seem to have grown and do well.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
4-Pack vulture catfish update: one female died at 8yo 26"/65cm (same symptoms we often see with our fish - a period of fast followed by erratic swimming), another female is sick, two males are ok.

• Sad
Reactions: ryanstef

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The second female vulture that had been sick for 1.5 months died on Sept 29 2022, the day after hurricane Ian. The fish had seemed to improve then worse then improve then got much worse toward the end. I believe from the disease process and the symptoms of erratic swimming and loss of sense of direction that it is the same bug that has been plaguing our fish since 2018. It took out both females. Unusual that gender mattered.

The males have been on a hunger strike too for a month or two but now they are back to feeding well. So we only have 2 males left and they live in the 25K.

8 years old, 29 inches / 73 cm:

• Sad

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com