Wal Mart Gold Fish (bloody awful) !!

Ophelia

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Australia
After posting a video link for my goldfish on you tube, I stumbled across a link showing the conditions gold fish are kept in at Walmart. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, dead fish and not just one dead fish in a tank, bunches of dead fish floating around while other fish were feeding off them.

Little Betta's in plastic containers on shelves, mostly dead and one video of people helping themselves to getting the fish out of tanks because employees were taking to long to help them. Rather sad actually. I'm not sure if it was just the one store or if the whole chain of Walmart stores sells live pets and keeps them in those conditions. What amazes me is that anyone would buy fish that had been kept in conditions like that....

We don't have Walmart here in Australia, bit I guess it is probably similar to our Big W stores except they don't sell live animals.

Has anyone else seen these fish tanks in Walmart and if so are they really as bad as what I saw in those You Tube videos.......:(

_Jessica_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
MA
I went into my local walmart one weekend morning...out of about 30 bettas, 3 or 4 were alive. There were dead fish chilling in the filters, algae on the tanks, and GSPs chasing the plecos around.

Their excuse was that the fish person was away on vacation and there was no one to take care of the fish.

I wrote a polite letter to corporate and got a "tail tucked between his legs" call from the store manager. Things have improved, not so many dead fish anymore.

ziggy2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
IL
We have a WalMart here that keeps their tanks up real well. I have bought some fish from them in the past.

nasomi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2011
United States
You're lucky to not have a walmart. I avoid walmart at all costs as a general rule of thumb, and have for years. Last time I was there, the one that i would occationally visit didn't have fish but based on the rest of the store's condition, they would be in extremely poor shape, or dead.

jeyy88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
Ottawa
most of the ones in canada got rid of selling live fish and just sell a limited amount of fish supplies now

nasomi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2011
United States
I take that back. Walmarts have advantages. They gather all the creepy people in one place, so we can avoid them more easily.

Mechanic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2004
at home
My nearest wally world used to sell fish but has stopped because of all the complaint's of the fish's condition.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Mechanic;5141449; said:
My nearest wally world used to sell fish but has stopped because of all the complaint's of the fish's condition.
Bad but good for the fish that otherwise would have been there.....The one here does not sell live fish and that's probably due to the PetSmart a few stores down the strip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store